Nestbox not set up and

TadsMinion

Chirping
Jun 10, 2019
North Coast , Cakifornia
I found an egg today, the very first egg from my first flock! I didn't think they were old enough to lay yet and had the nest boxes closed off.
Do I open them up and add... what does one put in them, straw, shavings? Do I need to add the egg to the nest to get them to lay there?
I found the egg on the "shelf" over the nest boxes, just sitting there all small and perfect.
I am pretty sure it is my naked neck, Maybelline, that laid it since her comb and wattles are very, very red ( to the point I was worried she was over heating yesterday).
IMG-0325.jpg
IMG-0326.jpg

Congratulations on the egg!

Yes, I would open up the nesting boxes. As for what to put in them...we all have our preference. I usually put shavings in mine since that's what I use in the coop. Some use straw...find what works for you:)

No. I would not put the egg in the nesting box, eat that for breakfast! You can put something like golf balls in the nest or find some ceramic eggs to place in there. I think I got mine at TSC, but I'm sure you can find those on Amazon as well.

Congratulations of your egg!
I use short hay in the nest boxes. It's softer than straw, and easier for them to move around and make their nest perfect. And it also provide a little snack for them...
If you leave the egg inside the nest box, they'll (hopefully) figure out what the box is for.

Congrats on the first egg!!! @Wyorp Rock gave great advice. I would not leave the actual egg in the nest box. They may break it open and once they get a taste of whats inside, you will have a real problem on your hands.

I found an egg today, the very first egg from my first flock! I didn't think they were old enough to lay yet and had the nest boxes closed off.
Do I open them up and add... what does one put in them, straw, shavings? Do I need to add the egg to the nest to get them to lay there?
I found the egg on the "shelf" over the nest boxes, just sitting there all small and perfect.
I am pretty sure it is my naked neck, Maybelline, that laid it since her comb and wattles are very, very red ( to the point I was worried she was over heating yesterday).
View attachment 1874115 View attachment 1874113
I use meadow hay in my nesting boxes. Sheep only really like soft hay so I just use some of theirs when I change the nesting boxes (about once a month unless they get dirty.

Thank you for the advice, I ended up using shavings and some hay that fell out of my horse's hay net when I was stuffing it. I will see later if it worked I think my other two hens might be close to laying too.
Congrats!
Many things will work for nest bedding, I like a good tight flake of straw, stuffed in tight and 'bowled' out a bit......just don't be surprised if they tear up the nest and toss all the bedding out at first.

New layers can be quite goofy acting, they don't know what they are doing at first and can be confused and anxious, it can take up to a month or so before they get it all figured out. Putting some fake eggs or golf balls in the nest might help show them where to lay. They may scratch around in the nests for weeks before laying, spreading the bedding everywhere. They will scratch around a bit less in nest as they get used to the routine. Meanwhile, eggs everywhere, some of them can be rather funky looking, soft or thin shelled, huge double yolked eggs.

Back
Top Bottom