1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nesting and boxes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bayyjayy, Sep 26, 2011.

1. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    I have two pet taxi's that I have taken apart and made four nesting boxes with. Should I put them back together so that when my girls start laying and I let them keep the eggs (IF I let them) they will feel more secure?

Right now I have all of them side by side, no privacy whatsoever. Lately I have been reading on here how they like to have a bit of privacy when they are laying and that when they have eggs they will feel more secure.

Am I going about this wrong?

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I agree with the privacy. If it were me, I would put them back together to give them a feeling of security.

3. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:2X [​IMG]

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Mine will lay in corners of the pen if not in the laying boxes themselves. They do like a slightly darkened area which a heap of fresh bedding to make a nest in.

If you put them back together- and the ducks lay and sit in them- it makes for an easy way to move them to a safe area away from the flock when the eggs are due to hatch - just close up the door and move the whole thing- mum can stay sitting tight on the eggs with minimum disturbance.

5. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    My Mallards dig a hole in the dirt (and sand in the house). If hay is nearby, they line it. The outdoor nests are: behind a door leaning against the house and by the bamboo covered areas I made for them (by the duck pool).

I have a wire milk crate in the house they made a nest behind.

I think as long as their is a mound of hay, a plant, or even fake plant, that is enough cover for Mallards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by