"Nesting Box Blends" --Home made Recipe?

Here are a few pictures of the chickens in the herb garden.

The stuff Im familiar with Contains lavender, chamomile, bay leaves, ecualyptus leaves, oregano, peppermint, tansy, wormwood, marigold petals, spearmint and catnip. This stuff costs $15.00 a pound. WOW
I have growing around my house, lavender, chamomile,various mints and catnip. Maybe Ill give some of this a try. Oregano is pretty easy to grow, so are marigolds. I dont know what tansy is and I dont know where to get ecualyptus leaves or wormwood.
[/quote

Hi some times you can get eucalyptus leaves in the flower shops they use them in flower bouquets , sometimes if they have any left over or about to die they will give them for free :)

You should be able to get all of those from a herbal supplier. You need to be a bit careful with tansy because it's toxic to humans taken internally in large doses but the rest are good. In the UK Herbs In A Bottle and the Organic Herb Trading company are good and in the US Mountain Rose Herbs. if you buy 500g/1lb of each You'll probably find that you can make it at about £6LB

Hope that helps.
Herbalist Chick

I was told recently from a lady who grows herbs that wormwood can be toxic to the liver. I assume human or peoples liver....
I have been grwing several herbs for years ....most do well out in the yard. I kept my sage ane oregano... large patches of each (in backyard of old house, we moved from) .. I got bagged pine needles from my neighbor. I surrouned the big patch with those bagged pine needles..
They overwintered fine. Or grow them with 1/2 mini hoops . covered in clear heavy mil plastic. to support the platic usied fencing or irrigation platic I believe 3/4' black flexible piping....
Just some suggestions

Be sure to open the mini hoops.. on a real sunny warm day .. One of mine blew down and it baked several herbs..... my prop fell down during a windy time....

I ordered herbs from the san Francisco herb Co . Much more than I could use in a year for under 80$ . You only use 1-2 tblsp per box . At the amount I ordered I'm good for 2+ years

The herbal mix is not just to make the chickens calm it repels insects also for their health as well .it makes the coop smell wonderful. I used a mix of rose petals, lavender,calendula, chamomile,peppermint, nettle leaves,thyme,rosemary,& lemon balm.

I dont know if anyone is still reading this thread but I love to mix the herbal tea packet the grocery store sell for drinking... they smell amazing. I made a blend the other day that my chickens loved:

2 packets "sleepy time" tea
2 packets chamomile
1 packet orange spice
1 packet mint
a little rosemary, basil and cloves. It turned out great!:)

I dont know if anyone is still reading this thread but I love to mix the herbal tea packet the grocery store sell for drinking... they smell amazing. I made a blend the other day that my chickens loved:

2 packets chamomile
1 packet orange spice
1 packet mint
I forgot, I also added some calendula flowers, cinnamon, and lavender.

2 packets chamomile
1 packet orange spice
1 packet mint

How do you use this? I love herbal tea myself but never though about using it for the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom