Nesting box domination

srfrgrl

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 13, 2011
Hi All,
I have an interesting predicament. One of my chickens seems to have commandeered (sp?) the community nesting box recently. Every time I go out there she is sitting in it...eggs or no eggs. I'm not sure why all of a sudden this is happening and it is definitely affecting egg production. any suggestions, advice, understanding would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. :) Oh, and the chickens are 11 months old now...if that helps any.
Judy

If she is broody move her, break her, or add nest boxes so the others can lay. Moving her would open up the nest box for the others. Breaking her would do the same. Adding nest boxes if you have more than a couple of hens might not be a bad idea anyway.

8 BO hens.

Two nesting boxes.

They all lay in the same nesting box.

3 days ago one hen went "broody" and spends her time in the "THE" nesting box.

Somehow the other 7 hens manage to lay their eggs in "THE" nesting box.

I just pick her up and place her in the unused nesting box and gather the eggs.

How does one "break" a broody hen... as spoken of?

• To break a determined broody hen is to confine her to a wire-bottomed cage, like a rabbit or parrot cage, and place that cage up on sawhorses, blocks, or hang it from the rafters, so that air can flow up underneath. Provide food and water, but NO bedding. Keep her in there for 3-4 days,
  • With some hens, all they need is a few times of being physically removed from the nest and carried out to the yard where their flockmates are ranging. A little bribe of cracked corn will help them see the benefits of not brooding.
  • Lower body temperature by giving really cold baths. This would not be good at this time of year, serious hypothermia could pursue.

Thanks everyone for your input/advice. Yes, she does sleep there at night. Today I removed her from (locked her out of) the coop/run altogether while her hen-mates stayed in. I usually don't let them out until the afternoon anyway so it seemed to work out as far as allowing the other ladies to lay. I also put in a second nesting box but none of them use it. We'll see. Maybe in time. Got 4 eggs today (out of 6 chickens) so that is good. :) Thanks again for all your help.
Judy

Back
Top Bottom