Nesting Box Height From Floor

r-l-newell

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 14, 2009
Central Texas
I am in the process of building a couple of Community Nesting Boxes for my 13 Laying Hens and I need to find out how far off the floor I should mount them. I already have the sloped roof and other features so that they don't try and use it as a roost but just need to know how far off the floor to mount them so the hens can climb into them with no problems.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I believe my first ones were 18" off the ground. I'm not sure if there is a standard height or not, this just worked in my coop size. In my new coop, the bottom row is almost right on the ground because I have some Silkies and other bantams that I wanted to make sure could use them.

Here is a photo of them in the new coop.

DSC_0005-10.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks
smile.png
My hubby designed and built them for me last year. They are very sturdy and so easy to clean. The fronts drop down and they use the poles on the front (towel rods) to climb into them. They were originally put there as a handle for me. Lol not needed, but the idea was sweet. We are putting a board over the top row though because the new little ones think they are beds, lol.

Quote:
I do like those but I want to do the Community Nesting Boxes since I don't have but two spaces that are 22" Wide between the 2x4 Board Framing so that I can mount some nesting boxes. I know that they say that you should have twelve inches wide for each nesting box which would mean that I essentially would only have enough room for two nesting boxes one on the top of each other and that won't be enough for 13 hens. I would think if I make the two community nesting boxes twenty inches wide with the sloped roof and etc. on them and mount them not too far from the floor that they will work. Someone told me that I should mount them 10 inches from the floor but this seems pretty low especially for 10 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Americaunas.

Please give me more input so I can have a good idea what I need to do this evening when I get home from work.

Last edited:
lol ALL nest boxes are community nest boxes!
i have big Buckeyes and EE's and they seem to prefer about 24 to 36 inches off the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just make sure they are lower than the roosts.

I like your community nest box plan. And I agree, they're all community nest boxes anyway!

Quote:
My dropping boards are 2 feet from the floor and then the roosts are 7 inches higher and centered over the dropping boards so I think I should be in good shape if I put them anywhere between 15" and 18" off the floor and on the opposite wall.

Back
Top Bottom