nesting box help!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hchorselover, Aug 2, 2010.

1. hchorselover

hchorselover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Our chickens just started laying about a week ago, and because the worker at the feed store said they wouldn't lay in another month, we didn't make any nesting boxes. Right now we have a bucket turned on it's side for a temporary nesting box. So my question is- does anyone have any tips or ideas for nesting boxes? Or could you post a picture of your nesting boxes. So that we could get some ideas on what to make?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    A quick easy solution is put some milk crates in there on their sides...line them with hay or straw and they'll be fine until you can go permanent.

3. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    Here are my nesting boxes... all nice and clean before the girls moved in. Mine are not laying yet, 16 weeks old, so I don't know if they will like them [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    I too use milkcrates, they work great and are so easy to clean! And they're in like every alley here. I've also used plastic produce crates.

5. Gold Griffin Chicken Mom

Gold Griffin Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Suffolk, Virginia
    I currently have two cardboard boxes with low-cut sides. Inside the boxes there are big handfuls of hay. I was using a stone egg and two glass eggs, but the broody wouldn't take the hint that they would not hatch, so they've been temporarily moved into my house. The stone egg was holding down the top on the Silkie cage, but I think my son must have walked off with it...

Anyway, like with people and other pets, some hens are super picky. Others will lay just about any place. Grab a couple of boxes (or box shaped stuff, lol) and throw in some hay and see what happens. Lots of luck!

6. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    Here is a shot of my nesting boxes. They are very basic. I made a 26"x26" square out of 1x12 board, then cut 2 pieces of 1x12 that I slotted and fit together, and then slid into the square. I got 4 nest boxes. You can put a piece of plywood on the back if you want. I mounted mine into the wall so I could access it from the outside.

[​IMG]

7. Puma

Puma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Riverside
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by