Nesting Box ideas?

I use the covered litter boxes. What I really like is their portability. When I finally decided to let my Silkie go broody and set the eggs, I just picked the whole thing up by the handle and moved it, without disturbing her at all.

well if you look around then you can find some crates or go to a sale or auction and get a crate to use for a nesting box. but idk where to get one. but my friend might get one for me.

I have seen some use dish pans with some hay in them for nest boxes. I ask people to save cartons for me.

IMG_1289.jpg

I am using a large covered cat box also. I have to buy 3 more as we took the broken one of the 2 that the cats were using. But these things are not cheap. Here at our walmart they are almost $25.00 no joke. But I need another for the cats so they have 2 and 2 more for the chickens since I have 22 pullets.

A hardware store near us has those large white buckets that drywall mud usually comes in turned on their sides and secured on either side by a brick. They have straw in the bucket and the chickens lay eggs in there. Very low tech, but it seems to be working for them.

I bought mine from Lowe's. They are blue recycle bins that stack--little bigger than fordmom's boxes. They were $9 something and I find 3 hens in them at one time. They all perfer on box on the bottom.

Angie

While I am still waiting for my girls to lay, I am saving the empty cartons from the grocery store. I'll have a ton of them. Plus I'll be reusing them again and again. Already have enough cartons to fill a years worth of eggs. I have 8 hens and NO rooster.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom