Nesting box outside of coop

Bhubbard

Songster
Jun 7, 2018
Sunbury Ohio
So my chicken math has got me cornered (again) the chickens are only in coop when it’s dark and feed/laying. Water and everything else outside and access to 100x50 run. A lot of days I just open front gate that gives them free run of the land. For space saving and easier access has anyone had success with nesting boxes set up outside the coop? I have a wooden cubby that was given to me with about 8 boxes for items to be stored I could turn into free nesting boxes in a hurry. Would like to convert this and give it a shot and curious about other people doing this/success. For the record all my girls try to lay in one box so not sure they will go for it when ones in coop stay empty.

So exterior next boxes? Yes, you can do that, just make sure the way you get in them is secure so predators don't use them as a way in.
Yes… I think I’m good predator wise obviously those things are sneaky but with the goats and dogs running around I have seem to eliminated a lot of that. The exterior of my property has goat fencing extended to about 7.5 feet. The boxes would be near the coop and weather proof them and was going to create a lean to look to it giving it some darkness and privacy. More curious if the girls will go for it….

Yes… I think I’m good predator wise obviously those things are sneaky but with the goats and dogs running around I have seem to eliminated a lot of that. The exterior of my property has goat fencing extended to about 7.5 feet. The boxes would be near the coop and weather proof them and was going to create a lean to look to it giving it some darkness and privacy. More curious if the girls will go for it….
Oh, completely unattached. I'm not sure.

While there's no predicting what your chickens will like, I have seen photos of a chicken "coop" in a subtropical region of the US (forget if it was Florida or Louisiana), that consisted of a pasture protected by electric fence, a roost with a roof and one wall on the windward side (no wire), and a bank of weather-proofed nests conveniently next to the gate.

What you're asking makes me think of how many times I've added onto my coop. It's just another way to look at it if you're adding outdoor nestboxes that are attached to your coop and you add a roof to keep them dry, pretty soon you just have a coop addition. I have the same thing as you, open the gate and they range around 2acres. They do always go back to the coop area to lay no matter how far they've gotten so I take it to mean they are particular about where they lay.

What you're asking makes me think of how many times I've added onto my coop. It's just another way to look at it if you're adding outdoor nestboxes that are attached to your coop and you add a roof to keep them dry, pretty soon you just have a coop addition. I have the same thing as you, open the gate and they range around 2acres. They do always go back to the coop area to lay no matter how far they've gotten so I take it to mean they are particular about where they lay.
Right! I will just do an addition and accidentally order more this spring lol!

So my chicken math has got me cornered (again) the chickens are only in coop when it’s dark and feed/laying. Water and everything else outside and access to 100x50 run. A lot of days I just open front gate that gives them free run of the land. For space saving and easier access has anyone had success with nesting boxes set up outside the coop? I have a wooden cubby that was given to me with about 8 boxes for items to be stored I could turn into free nesting boxes in a hurry. Would like to convert this and give it a shot and curious about other people doing this/success. For the record all my girls try to lay in one box so not sure they will go for it when ones in coop stay empty.
I am in the same boat!!! I redid my coop this past summer/fall and the new nesting boxes that I put in my girls don't use - I think it's cause the sides of them are not tall enough and they aren't private enough. They've been laying eggs on the floor in the straw that is there for winter warmth. (Insert face palm!!!) Now that it's spring I am going to be removing all the straw and am thinking of just taking the nesting boxes out of the coop all together. I have an enclosed run and I am fairly handy so I would be able to come up with something that is covered, secure, etc.

I am in the same boat!!! I redid my coop this past summer/fall and the new nesting boxes that I put in my girls don't use - I think it's cause the sides of them are not tall enough and they aren't private enough. They've been laying eggs on the floor in the straw that is there for winter warmth. (Insert face palm!!!) Now that it's spring I am going to be removing all the straw and am thinking of just taking the nesting boxes out of the coop all together. I have an enclosed run and I am fairly handy so I would be able to come up with something that is covered, secure, etc.
Yeah I think that will work out fine. I’m going to mount mine on exterior of coop and put like an awning over it to make it darker j her there to encourage them to use it.

Back
Top Bottom