Nesting Box Pics Needed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SoccerMomof7, Jun 23, 2008.

1. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Okay I keep looking for the nesting boxes for my DH to build, and I keep going through the nesting boxes threads and can't find the one I was looking for. So lets start putting all our nesting box pics in this thread for us newbies to get ideas. Please

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Oh darn it I can't remember the thread but someone on the BYC used 5 gallon buckets as nesting boxes. They looked like they would work really well.

3. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Well we got the wood already to make them I just can't decide how I want them and my DH want me to get him a picture of what I want them to look like.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    It sorta depends on what type of coop you have. In this picture, my coop isn't quite done, but I have outside access to the nest boxes, which is nice. What I DO NOT like about them is that they are annoying to clean out - if I did them over, I'd somehow make the bottom drop down so I could just flip it down & remove the dirty shavings. Otherwise, they work great for me!

[​IMG]

Before the coop was done, so you can see the nest boxes better:

[​IMG]

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    We just have one nestbox (for 4 hens). It's made of an office desk drawer screwed to the coop wall. My DH added a "lip" so the lining and eggs wouldn't fall out.

[​IMG]

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
  7. PineyRidge

PineyRidge Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    SPOTSYLVANIA,VA
    I did the outside access nest boxes also, but I did put drop down doors at the bottom for easy clean up.[​IMG] You can see one of the doors open in the pic.
    [​IMG]

8. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    [​IMG]
    here is an easy cleaner. will

9. Iowamom

Iowamom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2008
    Carlisle, Iowa
    Quote:Yes, that is an excellent thread with lots of great ideas! Check it out. It definitely gave me some good ideas of how to make my nestboxes. I love some of the really creative ones like the converted computer desk. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by