Nesting box question

JordanH

Hatching
Dec 6, 2015
My husband and I are new to chickens, we recently moved into a house that came with a chicken coop and run. However we're wondering how exactly our set up works.

As you can see there is a shelf/ledge to the left with a metal grate (we're assuming to place nesting boxes on) the shelf has doors in the front (we're thinking to make it easy to clean out waste) and a green mesh curtain (for privacy?). We're wondering if the shelf/ledge is to high to put nesting boxes on and if not should we build nesting boxes with no bottom so that the waste will fall through the grate? (The grate is not big enough to allow an egg to drop through).

That's a very interesting set up you have. I think you could do several things with that. Are those large windows on the shelf side (left)? If those are large windows, I don't know why they would have the nesting boxes set to block light. That curtain is quite curious too. Chickens like a "cubby" feeling but don't require that degree of 'privacy'. If those are large windows that will make a difference in trying to figure out what their thinking was when building.

That's a very interesting set up  you have.  I think you could do several things with that.  Are those large windows on the shelf side (left)?  If those are large windows, I don't know why they would have the nesting boxes set to block light. That curtain is quite curious too.  Chickens like a "cubby" feeling but don't require that degree of 'privacy'.   If those are large windows that will make a difference in trying to figure out what their thinking was when building.

I was wondering if instead of a shelf, they were meant as separation cages. To slowly integrate new birds into the flock. There is plenty of room on the other wall for nesting boxes and roosts.

The separation cages might be the thing.... but gees.... you'd have to stand on your head to "catch" a skittish chicken - that would naturally run to the extreme corner of that whole area. I don't think that's a good design for that sorta of thing. No, I wouldn't want to block the light for any reason. You know that shelf almost looks like a greenhouse shelf --- if those are windows especially. If the windows are facing the sun, I'd be inclined to think it was meant to be a small greenhouse and maybe the previous owner used it as a chicken coop.

The separation cages might be the thing.... but gees.... you'd have to stand on your head to "catch" a skittish chicken - that would naturally run to the extreme corner of that whole area.  I don't think that's a good design for that sorta of thing.  No, I wouldn't want to block the light for any reason.  You know that shelf almost looks like a greenhouse shelf --- if those are windows especially.  If the windows are facing the sun, I'd be inclined to think it was meant to be a small greenhouse and maybe the previous owner used it as a chicken coop.

Ahh, yeah a greenhouse would make sense. The curtain would reflect the light back.

Mystery solved.... If you look at that picture with Greenhouse in mind, instead of Coop -- it is what it is....

The separation cages might be the thing.... but gees.... you'd have to stand on your head to "catch" a skittish chicken - that would naturally run to the extreme corner of that whole area. I don't think that's a good design for that sorta of thing. No, I wouldn't want to block the light for any reason. You know that shelf almost looks like a greenhouse shelf --- if those are windows especially. If the windows are facing the sun, I'd be inclined to think it was meant to be a small greenhouse and maybe the previous owner used it as a chicken coop.

Ahh, yeah a greenhouse would make sense. The curtain would reflect the light back.

Mystery solved.... If you look at that picture with Greenhouse in mind, instead of Coop -- it is what it is....
ditto.

who would put down brick pavers in a chicken coop? wouldn't you rather dirt floor over that?

I do think the doors are there to remove waste,

Last edited:
Yelp. I'm thinking it was a potting shed with a greenhouse side. The curtain would retain heat in the winter and so would the brick pavers. Brick pavers would also retain coop odors. Not ideal. I'd like to see the "coop" pop door on this. If this was mine, I'd keep the potting shed and build a coop on the other side from the Windows. With a common wall it would help warmth on both sides. Cause it's a great potting shed!

Yelp. I'm thinking it was a potting shed with a greenhouse side. The curtain would retain heat in the winter and so would the brick pavers. Brick pavers would also retain coop odors. Not ideal. I'd like to see the "coop" pop door on this. If this was mine, I'd keep the potting shed and build a coop on the other side from the Windows. With a common wall it would help warmth on both sides. Cause it's a great potting shed!
access the nesting boxes from the potting shed side.

Back
Top Bottom