1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nesting box question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenchok, Feb 21, 2009.

1. chickenchok

chickenchok Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    I've been reading that the nesting box should be 12X12X14"high. But it also says to put a lip on it and an angled roof. So does the opening have to be 12" for a standard hen? Or can it be a little less, as long as inside dimensions are as noted above?

Thank you!
    p.s. Our largest pullets are a black astralorp and Wyandottes.

2. andy

andy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    grimsby,,,{England}
    the measurements you gave sound good,, the slopping roof is so they dont perch on it and poop every where lol

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    My Australorps and Barred Rocks are comfortable with an 8"W x 12"T pop door altho' it is just a wee bit tight. So, the opening for a nest box should be just fine smaller than 12 by 12, to my way of thinking.

Honestly, they would squeeze thru a door 6 by 6 if they wanted to. As you suggest, the inside dimensions of the box would be more important. I suggest that for the interior, you don't go any smaller than 12 x 12, however.

Steve

4. chickenchok

chickenchok Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thank you for your replies... very helpful. We were making it today when these questions came up... whew! luckily we did it right based on your replies [​IMG]

5. 11langenkamp_w

11langenkamp_w Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    sidney, ohio
    I just use apple crats and set them on the ground and also hang them up and they work just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by