Nesting box question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tori8780, Dec 17, 2013.

1. tori8780

tori8780 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2012
    We just set up our nesting boxes this past weekend as our hens are about 19 weeks old now and we wanted to be prepared. We screwed the boxes into the wall and filled them with straw and a couple golf balls each. Well, I went out a couple hours later and the girls scratched all the straw out of the boxes. How can I prevent them from doing this and encourage them to use the boxes for what they are for? Thanks for your help!

2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    A board across the front will create a lip that makes it harder for them to drag out the bedding. You could also try wood shavings, I have better luck keeping that in the nestboxes.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    X2 what RCHD said, a higher lip on the front of the nesting boxes. I like a good 4-6", and use a mix of straw and shavings inside... I always keep fake eggs/ golf balls in the nests also. If the boxes are much off the ground, you might want to have a perch in front for them to hop on to make it easier for them to go in the boxes. Good luck with your girls, hope you get that first egg soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by