Nesting box question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JaceAgain, Feb 26, 2014.

1. JaceAgain

JaceAgain Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Coastal NC
    I am so sorry I am posting so much (and this wont even be the last of the questions!)
    Is there a reason that the nesting boxes are separated and not just a long bench? if they do have to be separated, how high should the sides be? Can they just flutter their way into the box? Is 27in off the floor too high? (could I just add a ramp if it is?)
    [​IMG]

2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

questions are always good....the box makes them feel more secure...I use milk crates. Some birds can jump pretty well....if it is too high for them a ramp would work..but I don't think you will need one are they large fowl....silkies are the only ones that have to be real close to the ground.

1 person likes this.
  3. JaceAgain

Feb 24, 2014
    Coastal NC
    [​IMG]

I was thinking of something like this? Do you think A or B is better? B has a roost in front of a south facing 1x3ft mesh window, I don't know if that s good or bad?

4. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

I would do the one without the window...I had a coop once where I had 4 nesting boxes and a shelf above i kept extra pine shavings and they stopped laying didnt know why well when i pulled out the plastic bag they had tore through it and was using it....never fails i always have one that just lays on the coop floor...

5. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    My nest boxes are all at the floor level and are 12x12 in size
    .[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Nests that are not divided are called “community nest boxes”. There are so many different ways you can make nests you are only limited by your imagination. I saw a photo where someone literally put a kitchen sink in the coop and put some straw in it. An instant nest.

I find it is best to have sides or a lip across the front if you have an enclosed nest at least 5” to 6” tall around the nest. That keeps the hen from scratching the bedding out when she is arranging the nest to her liking.

A 12” x 12” is the minimum size normally recommended but I prefer larger nests. Mine are 16” x 16” x 16”. Hens often like to lay together. I’ve often found three sharing a nest at the same time. The extra room helps keep them from actually laying on top of another.

Also, I let a broody hen hatch in the nest. When the chicks hatch, they can get pretty active, even climbing up on top of the hen. I find that if the nest is small the chick is more likely to fall out of the nest when it falls off Mama. That can cause problems.

There are several threads on here showing what people have used for nesting boxes. Here are a couple. A whole lot of this is just personal preference. People tend to care more than the chickens.

Nesting Boxes
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=41108

Opa’s Rollaway Nest Box
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=287684

7. JaceAgain

Feb 24, 2014
    Coastal NC
    Thank you ridgerunner! Great tip about the 6 inches, I was planning on 3 so I'll have to double that :D
    Hopefully I wont have any hatchlings any time soon though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by