Nesting box set up.

Ryguy3684

Here comes the Rooster
Premium Feather Member
May 29, 2020
Fauquier County, Virginia, United States.
My flock is only 10 weeks, but I couldn't wait to set up the nesting boxes. The nests are in a 4'x4', box, with a doorway that is attached to the main coop. I figured they could have a little more privacy that way. It has shocks lifts for easy access to the eggs. When the lid is closed, the nest partitions are about 6" from the top. It's only a few inches off the ground but has a front plate to keep things from sliding around. There will be bedding on the front walkway that's currently just wood. Will this be okay for laying? I tend to think about this stuff too much. I'm assuming the chickens don't care.

Attachments

• 20200713_194535.jpg
    20200713_194535.jpg
    565.5 KB · Views: 33
It's very nice and I think it'll work great. Love the hydraulic lifters. Great idea!

I would make the front lip a bit higher to keep nesting materials in better. I'm constantly filling mine back up when the girls scratch them out. Also they might prefer a top/lid. Mine seek out hidey holes when they can find them. I guess a little cave makes them feel comfy.

My flock is only 10 weeks, but I couldn't wait to set up the nesting boxes. The nests are in a 4'x4', box, with a doorway that is attached to the main coop. I figured they could have a little more privacy that way. It has shocks lifts for easy access to the eggs. When the lid is closed, the nest partitions are about 6" from the top. It's only a few inches off the ground but has a front plate to keep things from sliding around. There will be bedding on the front walkway that's currently just wood. Will this be okay for laying? I tend to think about this stuff too much. I'm assuming the chickens don't care.
Looks good. Got pictures of the whole coop? It is hard to picture how this fits in the larger picture.

I would make the front lip a bit higher to keep nesting materials in better. I'm constantly filling mine back up when the girls scratch them out. Also they might prefer a top/lid. Mine seek out hidey holes when they can find them. I guess a little cave makes them feel comfy.
Thanks for the input. I was debating putting a top on. I've got some extra plywood so I'll cut some out.

Looks good. Got pictures of the whole coop? It is hard to picture how this fits in the larger picture.
It's not open to the the coop yet, because I didn't want the chicks hanging out in the boxes before they are ready to lay.

Attachments

• 20200714_070715.jpg
    20200714_070715.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 20200714_070740.jpg
    20200714_070740.jpg
    917.6 KB · Views: 26
I use nesting pads, they don't scratch them out and easy to clean. The pads are 13"x13" and the nest boxes are 12"x12" so when installed they make a little bowl ish for the the gurls to set in they seem to like them a lot. Where did you get or what kind of strut rods did you use?
Thanks. I have nest pads in there as well. The struts were on Amazon. They are intended for s.u.v. lift gates.

It's not open to the the coop yet, because I didn't want the chicks hanging out in the boxes before they are ready to lay.
I Like it. The top opening has hydraulic assist. And the nest boxes are low enough to let kids assist gathering eggs. It looks pretty secure. One thought. Reaching the box near the coop could be a stretch. Could you reverse the door, so that it opens away from the nests?

Back
Top Bottom