nesting box size?

eastercreek

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 26, 2011
Benton, LA
We are in process of designing and building coop....no chickens yet, but plan on housing a couple polish and probably a couple of Easter Eggers....maybe a Plymouth Barred. Anyway....no more than 6 hens....but I need to know the best size for the nesting boxes? We plan on having an "overhead" reach-in door style so the kids can reach down in to get the eggs. Thanks for any info.

A lot of people use old milk crates as nest boxes that work very well. Maybe that can give you a good reference size. I think mine are about 14 inch square space per box. I have a three row box for 10 hens. They all like using the same box.

Oops, I forgot.
yippiechickie.gif
welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
We have 3 nest boxes approximately 14 " square. Our nest boxes are bumped out so they don't take up hen house space. They only use 2 of the 3 boxes (we have 5 hens) so we put a second waterer in the other box for summer!

The "door" is the rose colored part. It opens downward as I am short (4'11") and can see in it. We have a raised hen house that is 32" off the ground that makes it easier to clean for us "not as young as we used to be" folk.

39619_coop_painted_to_maatch_house.jpg

We no longer have that feeder in there--we use a trough instead as it takes less floor space and easy to keep clean and filled. You can see the extra waterer in the 3rd nest!

39619_hyacinth_at_10_weeks.jpg

Back
Top Bottom