nesting box size?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by eastercreek, Feb 26, 2011.

1. eastercreek

eastercreek Chirping

Feb 26, 2011
    Benton, LA
    We are in process of designing and building coop....no chickens yet, but plan on housing a couple polish and probably a couple of Easter Eggers....maybe a Plymouth Barred. Anyway....no more than 6 hens....but I need to know the best size for the nesting boxes? We plan on having an "overhead" reach-in door style so the kids can reach down in to get the eggs. Thanks for any info.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Songster

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    A lot of people use old milk crates as nest boxes that work very well. Maybe that can give you a good reference size. I think mine are about 14 inch square space per box. I have a three row box for 10 hens. They all like using the same box.

Oops, I forgot.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  3. zazouse

zazouse Crowing

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]

This is what we use and they were free.
    [​IMG]

4. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Songster

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    We have 3 nest boxes approximately 14 " square. Our nest boxes are bumped out so they don't take up hen house space. They only use 2 of the 3 boxes (we have 5 hens) so we put a second waterer in the other box for summer!

The "door" is the rose colored part. It opens downward as I am short (4'11") and can see in it. We have a raised hen house that is 32" off the ground that makes it easier to clean for us "not as young as we used to be" folk.

[​IMG]

We no longer have that feeder in there--we use a trough instead as it takes less floor space and easy to keep clean and filled. You can see the extra waterer in the 3rd nest!

[​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'd say minimum of 12 x 12, although one set of mine is 14 x 14 and the other is 16 x 16. If you're not cramped for space, I'd go a little bigger than the 12x12...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by