Nesting Box Sleepers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vfem, Dec 4, 2008.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I've had 3 broody Silkies for weeks! Finally they all are back to normal. I do have one silkie hen is almost at laying age being 20 weeks or so. They always slept in a corner together before they went broody, and since the broodies were in the nesting box everyone starting piling in there to sleep making a huge mess!

As soon as the eggs were hatched and I rehome the ducklings (long story) into the house I couldn't break them from using the nesting boxes to sleep in at night. I thought since no one is laying and no one has laid me an egg in over a month, no one would lay for a few weeks longer and I would close off the nesting boxes so they had to sleep somewhere else. Then remove the next box cover in say a week or so.

Well, I go to set it up after I give the coop a scooping and WHAM an egg?! Little brats they are!

So how about some pointers on getting these guys out of the nesting boxes at night. I've broken them once, but now they need access to them to lay again? (I have no idea who's back to laying... but no one is broody right now thank goodness!)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Block it off somehow at night and make it accessible during the day... It's a thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by