nesting box to roost question

chickachickawhat

Songster
11 Years
Mar 16, 2008
hartford county ct
i got my chickens from a farm and there coop had no roost of any kind. i kinda have a feeling they slept in there nesting box or on the ground. when i went to check on girls tonight they were all huddled up on the ground sleeping. how can i teach them to go on the roost at night. also another night i checked on them, they were in the nesting box. so what i did tonight is i put them in the nesting box andi will clean all the poop out of it tomorrow morning before then lay.

but how do i teach them to use there roost at night?. im also getting pullets from the farm but like 2 days after they get them. so how would i teach them?

Just keep putting them on the roost each night, they will get the idea fairly quickly.

Good luck with your new chooks!
wink.png

I agree; go up each evening after they have gone to bed and put them on the roost. It shouldn't take more than a few nights before they realize what you want and that it is more comfortable on the roost. If they are sleeping in the nest box, you should put them on the roost as well. They can really put out some poop at night!

Vicki

You may have to put something in front of the nest boxes to block them as well, until they get the hang of the roost.

Back
Top Bottom