Nesting box

kaity1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 31, 2014
Hi guys
I'm fairly new to the whole duck thing. I've got 2 muscovy cross ducks,my female lucy has recently started sitting on her eggs for 4 hours in the morning, this is a new development. As they are infertile sitting on her eggs won't prove anything so I've decided to get some fertile eggs and replace them with the infertile ones. My question is this. yesterday i set up a nesting box in their pen and i moved her Eggs tt she had been sitting on into the nesting box she hasn't sat on it yet and i'm not sure why what should i do to encourage her to use it
Tga

My muscovy built a nest under a car. She had five eggs in it. We didn't want her under there, so we moved the eggs to a new box in a separate pen. She abandoned the nest and would not go back to sitting. I had another one that was fighting me for the eggs ( a good sign they are going to sit) and I moved her to the same area I had put the other duck in. She is sitting on two ceramic eggs (no, I don't think she
knows the eggs are fake) and I don't know how many of her own. This is a picture of her sitting. When my muscovies were ready to sit, they fought me for the eggs. They make shrill warning sound and will often wag their tale to warn you away. It's very distinct from their other sounds. This is the third duck to go broody. One stayed under a shed for 6 weeks and failed to hatch any eggs. As far as I can tell, when the duck starts objecting strenously to egg removal, they want to sit. You can try just leaving the eggs there to encourage her to sit and wait and see. If she's really ready to sit, she'll do so.

Back
Top Bottom