Nesting boxes and roosts

SO......now since I' made the modifications, the same thing is happening. The new nesting area/box that I set up in the bottom is ransacked everyday when I get home. The ceramic eggs have been scratched out of the box as most all of the fresh pine shavings as well. And I don't mean just shoved over the edge. I mean like they got out and kicked the ceramic eggs around a little. I don't know if it's one or more doing it. But I'd be willing to bet it's my alpha female. I can't do anything to the coop without her being all under me checking things out and fussing.
There's no poop in the box or any other signs other than everything being strewn around. What gives?

Last edited:
Well, they could be getting close to point of lay, messed up nests are usually good sign of imminent eggs.
Or they could be bored.
Might help to build a more enclosed nest.
I like the round hole entrance, more cozy and holds straw bedding in better.

Ok, went to the shop and worked on the new feeder. Made it so I can screw it anywhere on the coop that is best. The tube is angled so it goes under the coop floor out of the rain. The two feeder "cups" are not glued in so I can turn them as needed. I should be able to feed quite a few chickens with it since my 7 chickens are doing good sharing the single one.

Ok, went to the shop and worked on the new feeder. Made it so I can screw it anywhere on the coop that is best. The tube is angled so it goes under the coop floor out of the rain. The two feeder "cups" are not glued in so I can turn them as needed. I should be able to feed quite a few chickens with it since my 7 chickens are doing good sharing the single one.

What size pipe are the feeder 'cups'?

FINALLY ......on the coldest day of the year, we just got our first egg with our first chickens. It's tiny but I'll take it.
. The weather has been TERRIBLE. I'm very surprised to get it today of all days.

So aart I guess you were right, the ransacking was a sign.

Last edited:
FINALLY ......on the coldest day of the year, we just got our first egg with our first chickens. It's tiny but I'll take it. . The weather has been TERRIBLE. I'm very surprised to get it today of all days.

So aart I guess you were right, the ransacking was a sign.
Great! Congrats!
I found with this years pullets that the nest ransacking (good word for it-haha!)was a very good indicator of imminent pullet eggs.
I've had some ransacking the last few days, not sure if it's a pullet or they are just bored being cooped up with a now 4 day storm.

Back
Top Bottom