Nesting Boxes? North, South, East or West side?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lbeattie, Apr 12, 2009.

1. lbeattie

lbeattie New Egg

Apr 12, 2009
    We are in the process of planning a chicken coop and are trying to figure out the correct side to put the nesting boxes on. We live in Maine...gets quite cold in the winter! Any suggestions?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd put them on the S wall, by preference, or E. Basically, not the walls that the worst cold winds come at.

This is especially true if the nestboxes will be accessible from outside (for gathering eggs w/o going into coop), but even if they're indoors, the S and E walls will be less cold and thus eggs will freeze more slowly.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. Superior Chicks

Superior Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Also, put them where they get the LEAST amount of light. Chickens will seek out the darker spots to lay in. If you have windows, then put them under the windows, not on the opposite side of the windows where they would get the light shinning in on them.

Ma

4. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    I would assume the side opposite side from the prevailing winds (leeward side). Most places, this would be the east side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by