Nesting Boxes on the Outside?

JenniferK

Songster
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Northern California
We are in the planning stages of our hen house/coop and would like to have nest boxes accessible without going into the house. My husband is leaning toward building the boxes on the outside of the coop so the access would be the "roof" to the boxes lifting up, because his main concern is that a door that opens out of the wall will be more susceptible to weather than having a "roof" that lifts up. Because the coop is in plain view of our house I'd really like to have them built inside the hen house, with a door for access, since I think it looks better than having them jutting out off an outside wall.

Does anyone have a good list of pros or cons?

Ours sticks out, and i think it looks fine - but it's also in the back of the coop, so we can't see it from our windows.

I've seen lots of next boxes that stick out and I think it can look really cute if you make it part of your plan!

I love this one;
PICT0033.jpg

I saw that on the local coop tour!

I have mine on the inside, but have plenty of room. 6x6 for 12(now9) hens, but it is also freezing cold in the winter and being inside helps the eggs not to freeze. I think it's a matter pf preference. Both look great. Merry

the biggest advantage to having outdoor Nest boxes is that it leaves you more room on the inside. This also prevents them from sleeping in them at night, and making a mess. I have seen may outdoor nest boxes that look great! I definitely like the lfting roof Idea, that is how my Aunts are, and they work great.

Here is one form Garden poultry
butler.jpg

I was wondering the same thing about having them stick out, if it would get too cold in winter. I love this idea of using a cabinet door to open, although it would have to be latched. Thanks for the photo.

Back
Top Bottom