1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jasonclem20, Dec 8, 2015.

1. jasonclem20

jasonclem20 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2015
    I darkened the nesting boxes a bit more to encourage my white leghorns to lay in them. Aside from golfballs and fake eggs is there anything else that will help? [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    With chickens new to laying, when i see them getting ready to lay, i put them in the nests. They usually get the idea after a couple of times.

CT

3. Zinniah

Zinniah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2015
    Texas
    When they start doing egg laying behaviors, show them the eggs in the nest boxes.You could also put any eggs that aren't laid in the nesting boxes, into a nest box, show them the nest box making sure they see the eggs inside. The eggs will still be edible after a couple of days in the nest box, though depending on were you live, they might freeze. You could also just make sure to search well for any eggs that haven't been laid in the boxes and pick them up quickly so they will be less likely to lay there again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by