1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nesting Boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BR75, Dec 12, 2010.

1. BR75

BR75 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    I have a galvanized nesting box that was given to me by my grandparents, but I am not sure if it will work or not. All the dimensions seem to fit everything I have read except for the width, which is 10 inches per nest box. Will this work for barred rocks?

2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

It should work just fine....

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sure.

4. BR75

BR75 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Thanks for the replies and the welcome! Everything I read said 12" wide would be ideal, so I wanted to ask some more experienced individuals to get their thoughts. Again, thank you.

5. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I have always used the standard 10 or 12 hole nesting boxes and the work very well! Every once and a while I will catch my 10Lb Buff rooster in the highest one! It is actually very funny! My RIR, Buffs and Barred Rocks use these with no problem I hope this helps BR75!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by