Nesting chickens problem..

AmateurChickie

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 25, 2013
We currently have 9 hens and 2 roosters. 3 of the hens aren't ready to lay eggs yet and 1 rooster isn't ready to make eggs yet (although he tries), but they're getting close.

I don't know what breed they are as they came with the house we rent but they're small.. Anyway, in the last month two of our hens have nested for about two weeks, and then stopped. They do get off them during that time a little more than usual to eat, but I was just wondering why this is?

The first time this happened, I was throwing the eggs away as she had been off them for probably the whole night, and one cracked and there was a half-formed baby chook in there, and at least another two that were as heavy as that one (she was sitting on 8 eggs). This happened again with another chook, she was sitting on 6 eggs and I had to chuck them away yesterday as she hadn't been near them all day.

Yesterday, another chook started nesting, I thought she may just be laying an egg, but she's still there almost 24 hours later.
Why do they keep doing this and how can I stop it? Also, what should I do?

Thanks!

We currently have 9 hens and 2 roosters. 3 of the hens aren't ready to lay eggs yet and 1 rooster isn't ready to make eggs yet (although he tries), but they're getting close.

I don't know what breed they are as they came with the house we rent but they're small.. Anyway, in the last month two of our hens have nested for about two weeks, and then stopped. They do get off them during that time a little more than usual to eat, but I was just wondering why this is?

The first time this happened, I was throwing the eggs away as she had been off them for probably the whole night, and one cracked and there was a half-formed baby chook in there, and at least another two that were as heavy as that one (she was sitting on 8 eggs). This happened again with another chook, she was sitting on 6 eggs and I had to chuck them away yesterday as she hadn't been near them all day.

Yesterday, another chook started nesting, I thought she may just be laying an egg, but she's still there almost 24 hours later.
Why do they keep doing this and how can I stop it? Also, what should I do?

Thanks!
The best thing you can do is leave them alone. The hen knows how to regulate the temperature. In most cases they leave the nest to eat and drink maby scratch arround. But they will go back and take care of things. In your case I would say MOTHER KNOWS BEST!!

Thanks, I know they get off to eat and everything, but what I'm trying to say is that they get off and don't get back on after two weeks...

If they get off for that long and the chicks are starting to form you need to hatch them. She may never hatch any eggs.
Wouldn't they be dead by the find I find them? They're cold when I do.

Also, anyone know why this is happening, two chooks have done this so far. Another two had hatched their eggs when they had them. But this was a while ago. I can't remember how long but the rooster from the first lot is almost fully grown and the chick that was hatched with him is fully grown.

Back
Top Bottom