Nesting Duos

Lilbitsnpieces

Songster
Mar 24, 2021
I have always had what I call a surrogate duck. New mamas will leave a nest early or simply hatch the ducklings but then lack in the mothering department. My "Petri" kicks into overdrive. She sets if needed and "helps" in raising the ducklings. This year I have not one but TWO nests being "shared". I mean literally two ducks sitting on one nest..no fighting over eggs or "stealing" going on..just both sitting on the nest. I haven't had this happen before and wondered if others have and what if anything you've done. I'm worried things will change after hatching starts..Both pairs are of same breed..one Cayuga, one Buff. I tried enticing them to new nests but to no avail. I would appreciate any feedback..
I'll post a photo in the morning..still dark here.

Last edited:
I have 3 Muscovy ducks sharing one nest with 10 eggs. They are very diligent and protective. In the same run and coop is a another duck and the drake but they know enough not to approach the nest. My plan is to move these 2 to a temporary coop before hatch date. Not sure what to do other than hope for the best, and keep a watch out, once hatching begins. The plan is to sell ducklings as soon as possible, so I might remove them as they hatch, into a separate brooder in the house.

I have always had what I call a surrogate duck. New mamas will leave a nest early or simply hatch the ducklings but then lack in the mothering department. My "Petri" kicks into overdrive. She sets if needed and "helps" in raising the ducklings. This year I have not one but TWO nests being "shared". I mean literally two ducks sitting on one nest..no fighting over eggs or "stealing" going on..just both sitting on the nest. I haven't had this happen before and wondered if others have and what if anything you've done. I'm worried things will change after hatching starts..Both pairs are of same breed..one Cayuga, one Buff. I tried enticing them to new nests but to no avail. I would appreciate any feedback..
I'll post a photo in the morning..still dark here.
I’ll follow this post to see what happens! My co-nesting females were peaceful and harmonious until they took the hatchlings out of the coop for the first time.

Then everything changed. The older female immediately became very possessive and began physically driving the younger one away! For the first few days, there was a lot of loud quacking back and forth, and eventually physical altercations which left one of them bloody!

The most ironic thing is that the ducklings are biologically unrelated to the older female (who eventually won the title of “mama”)!

I’ll follow this post to see what happens! My co-nesting females were peaceful and harmonious until they took the hatchlings out of the coop for the first time.

Then everything changed. The older female immediately became very possessive and began physically driving the younger one away! For the first few days, there was a lot of loud quacking back and forth, and eventually physical altercations which left one of them bloody!

The most ironic thing is that the ducklings are biologically unrelated to the older female (who eventually won the title of “mama”)!
Mmm.That IS crazy..nice she's accepting them. Mine are very comfortable with me near and IN the nest..I have two other pens with nest ready. ( I've been stealing some nest material everyday from both nest to build these new ones🙄). When I hear peeping I'm going to grab a duck and some eggs and "place" them. I'm hoping that will keep any problems from occuring..I don't mind the nest sharing but can't afford the I'll affects of mama issues!🤣

So I have Sections in the duck house so other ducks and drake's are unable to enter nests..though during the day I open it and all is well..ducks come and go from nest at will..about sunset I close divider...

It took me awhile to figure pictures out..I have a unique setup..I live in a metropolis but have agricultural status..if one picture à whole city block, My property is in the middle or everyone's back yard..house been here since mid 1800s with additions in 1923 and 1950. These are of the Cayuga's. And their area. Two cages, smaller one already has a nest ready for switch. Drake goes into smaller cage at night I close both cages and set drake in Front of other, containing Beauty and Mulan. (Yes I'm a Disney freak😍) Then a cattle panel with hardware cloth sewn on is pushed in ground along side both..

Attachments

• IMG_20220610_085207.jpg
    IMG_20220610_085207.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220610_085119.jpg
    IMG_20220610_085119.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220610_085127.jpg
    IMG_20220610_085127.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Here is other houses which are just the other side of Cayuga's. You can notice the dead tree and cattle panels.baby gate separates duo Buffs from others, which I remove during day. The back of this structure, with tin roof, opens so when babies hatch another cattle panel (such as one in second pic) will be added so another pen created. If you looked down from above it's a four square. Each one section as needed.

Attachments

• IMG_20220610_085900.jpg
    IMG_20220610_085900.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220610_085706.jpg
    IMG_20220610_085706.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220610_085713.jpg
    IMG_20220610_085713.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220610_085747.jpg
    IMG_20220610_085747.jpg