Nesting Hen

TNOTV

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 6, 2012
Kingston, MO
We have a hen that has decided to nest in our barn and not in the nesting boxes in the coop she laid a egg we took it and today she was back on the nest she built any sugestions to get her to lay in the nesting boxes

we put them in the boxes bout 4 weeks ago whacha think bout keeping her in the coop/yard til she decides to nest again

we put them in the boxes bout 4 weeks ago whacha think bout keeping her in the coop/yard til she decides to nest again
try doing this for a couple days!!..some of my chickens are just engrained to lay in the quietest/most private area no matter!...the winter temps have finally corrected this behavior in all of them!!

score she laid in the nesting box yesterday gonna keep her shut up a few more days to make sure she gets it

score she laid in the nesting box yesterday gonna keep her shut up a few more days to make sure she gets it
YAY!! as soon as she gets out try and make sure she is restricted from accessing her normal area(s)... some times I think it's a bad habbit that they can't break until that environment(spot) changes.... Once I had a hen that demanded to lay on a hill in the middle of a rose bush! I let a couple eggs stay there for a couple of days and then I waited until she went to lay there again and I stole the eggs out from under her(changing her feeling about spot)... freaked her out enough that she decided to never lay there again... does that mean she immediately went and layed in the coop??..NO!! she found another obscure area under an apple tree! lol... the weather turned and she was forced to lay in the coop for several days... haven't had a problem since!! Good luck!!

yep we still have the straw in the barn but we cover it with lattice so she cant get down into it they sure dont like being "cooped" up lol not sure who is more upset the hens or the roosters lol

yep we still have the straw in the barn but we cover it with lattice so she cant get down into it they sure dont like being "cooped" up lol not sure who is more upset the hens or the roosters lol
Sounds Perfect! Haha! I bet the roos like it most...easier "catching" of the girls :)...lol!! give them some greens and that'll keep them happy :) btw: Thanks for the ovation!!!!

Back
Top Bottom