nesting herbs

kelzey

Songster
Aug 14, 2020
newfoundland and labrador, canada
i’ve been interested in growing my own things to make nesting herbs for my girls, but does anyone have any advice on what flowers that i should grow for that? i’m in the process of making my list of things to grow next year, so nows the perfect time to figure it out.

i know that marigolds (and calendulas) are one that’s usually used in the nesting herb blends, and i have plenty seeds for them and a bunch of petals that i’ve harvested and am waiting for them to dry out, but i’m not quite sure what else i could grow for it.

Mint is a good choice, because it overwinters well and, once established, can survive a moderate amount of chicken scratching.

My birds show no interest in basil, or in oregano (which gets woody - fair warn - not good nesting material when it dries into sharpened toothpicks). Likewise for fenugreek, which is too bad, because its a good source for some rare amino acids.

Dill does alright, but its so feathery it can attract moisture and become a mildew target.

Sorry, I've learned a few things that I can grow on my property that don't work, very little that does.

Ginger and lemongrass shoots both worked well for my first year, but did not overwinter into this year.

Mint is a good choice, because it overwinters well and, once established, can survive a moderate amount of chicken scratching.

My birds show no interest in basil, or in oregano (which gets woody - fair warn - not good nesting material when it dries into sharpened toothpicks). Likewise for fenugreek, which is too bad, because its a good source for some rare amino acids.

Dill does alright, but its so feathery it can attract moisture and become a mildew target.

Sorry, I've learned a few things that I can grow on my property that don't work, very little that does.

Ginger and lemongrass shoots both worked well for my first year, but did not overwinter into this year.
thank you for your input! i’ll have to do some more research on which things will be better for them and which will grow better in my climate.

i just really like the idea of nesting herbs that would help keep bugs away and such, and it would be a bonus if i could make it myself instead of buying it

Back
Top Bottom