1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nesting trouble

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kristysclucks, Sep 15, 2014.

1. kristysclucks

kristysclucks New Egg

Jun 19, 2014
    My chickens are 20 weeks old and every time I clean their coop and put fresh straw in the boxes they take it all out. Just was wondering if anyone had any ideas why?

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I tried shavings, shredded newspaper and they ate it like popcorn! I have sand in their nests --and in coop and run..has worked well for me. But I'm in a warm climate zone.

Maybe they are pulling it out to see what is underneath?

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    And, Welcome to The Flock![​IMG]

4. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

That would be my guess. They are looking for treats! Make the container deeper so that it doesn't get scratched out as easily. I put shavings in the bottom and some hay on top in one and just shavings in the others. They will settle down when 1) they don't find treats, and 2) when they are in there to lay and egg. Right now, they are trying to figure out what that little box is for!

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

They may be looking for seeds and things in the fresh bedding, however I think there is another reason...

Pullets will do this just before they are going to lay!! Are they squatting for you? Are the combs, faces and wattles big and red? They may be gearing up to lay any time now. One of my 20 week old BR's is doing this this week...kicking the fake eggs out of the box, scratching everything out, dragging the curtains into the box...I hope you see some eggs soon!!

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Chickens sure do like to re-arrange their nesting boxes. If you have a good size bottom lip on the box (I like 4-6" or so) it really helps keep the nesting material inside.

7. kristysclucks

kristysclucks New Egg

Jun 19, 2014
    We do not have a lip on the box maybe this is something we should add.

8. kristysclucks

kristysclucks New Egg

Jun 19, 2014
    Thank you!

9. kristysclucks

kristysclucks New Egg

Jun 19, 2014
    I have a few that they are real red but I'm embarrassed to say I thought those were the roosters. Boy do I have a lot to learn. I have been doing tons of research on how to tell them apart but can't seem to figure it out.

10. kristysclucks

kristysclucks New Egg

Jun 19, 2014
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by