Nesting, wild ducks

chiknut

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 21, 2018
A pair of wild mallards has nested, with at least 11 eggs in our Dayton, 4 acre, semi suburban home. There is a rain dependent tiny creek in an adjacent wooded area but it doesn’t have the cover or the food sourcing.

We are providing appropriate food for the pair in two different locations. My question is, what can we do once the ducklings hatch? It’s spring here, daffodils, peaking and we’ve been aware of the 11 eggs for a week. We’ve had chickens in the past, and still have the empty chicken house which I’m assuming the ducks are not gonna want to be involved with.

Anything we can do to optimize the success of this hatching? we know the area has dogs, coyotes, raccoons, etc. Clearly, the ducks are trying to make the best of things, but I don’t see how they can possibly succeed. Thanks in advance this is a great group that I’ve learned a lot from over the years.

Racoons and semi-suburban dogs are likely your biggest culprits to ground nesters. If you're retired and inclined toward intensive trapping, tractor supply cage traps to remove 'coons would improve their odds. A temporary electric fence, 1/4ac or so, could deter adventurous dogs. As said, it'd be a lot of work to influence nature a little for a little while. For some of us, it might be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom