Nests and how many do I need

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dar, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I have 10 hens that are due to start laying any day now...right now I have 10 nests but I was out in the coop this morning and I am thinking about "redecorating"

right now i have the 10 nests lined up along 2 walls but now that I have been in the group and have seen some of the coops on here I want to rearrange things a lil...but in doing so I will loose 3 nests....

will hens "share" nests or do they all need thier own?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2008
  2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    It's 4 to 5 birds per nest, I think.

3. mattmatts-momma

mattmatts-momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    I think that two to three would be enough. I found mine laying eggs in the nest together a couple of weeks ago.

4. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    2 would do the trick

5. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    7 per is my rule. You could do two nests happily. Betcha you still find some cuddling together in the box.

6. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Two or three nests will be fine..... the hens may get it into their little heads to only use one or two nests anyway. [​IMG] If the nests are all at the same level, the hens will be more apt to use them all.

Carla

7. We have one for 5 hens. It is nice and cozy. There have been some arguements over it, but no fights. I think they are too loaded up to fight..they just growl. I got the feeling if we had two nests, they would all use the same one.

8. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    duplicate.....

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  9. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    We have 10 hens with 3 boxes and they all lay in the middle one. Occasionally we will find an egg or two in one of the other boxes, but they all like the middle one. I think you would be fine with 2 boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by