Netting over run to deter hawks?

The netting that many of us use on here is this one: https://pinnonhatch.com/Poultry-Sup...y-Protection-Netting/2-heavy-knotted-netting/ They have different opening sizes and weights, but the 2" heavy seems to be the most popular on here. There's other brands that are similar as far as break/burst weight netting.

Because some of your fencing is on the short side you'd need to create a higher edge for the netting to rest on. For the 4' tall side of my run I used 6' U-posts and ran tension wire across the top of the posts to create a roughly 6' tall boundary around the run. You'll also need some support in the center to hold up the net - in my case my coop serves that purpose, along with some cross supports on the other half of the run.

coopnew1.jpg

Since you can move your fencing, perhaps tighten up the perimeter for the winter and then use poultry netting. You can get it on black.

BTW--I admire the lovely stone wall.

It's a huge hassle to move the electric fencing, but since I'd be leaving the netting up for the lifetime of the chickens, I might as well just set up the netting on the whole run anyway. I see poultry netting and 6' poles in my future!

And yeah, the stone walls are quite nice. They came with the property and are always beautiful.

@Sally PB - thanks for your comment about my run. It always looks so, uh, 'natural', when compared to the fancy things other people have, but my chickens love it, which is what matters. I like that they have lots of room to play. It had grass, originally, but they fixed that. ;)

I have plastic netting and I ran flash tape at angles underneath. My friend said it looks like the chickens are having a party. 😆

We have hawks and bald eagles here often. One hawk has a nest on our property. They don’t mess with the netting although they could go right through it if they wanted.

We have major hawks around here, I have a 1600sf run covered with bird netting. It's a bit of work between leaves & snow but I work from home so I just go out & give it a shake. If we have a huge snow storm or ice I just lock them in the small run in case the netting comes down.

This stuff, the heavy duty kind:
View attachment 2418306View attachment 2418308
How wide is your run? Are you supporting the netting in the center? We have a large space and i'm trying to figure out the netting part.

Back
Top Bottom