Netting question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chickfever, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    I'm going to put up a temporary run for my chickens next week. I don't have any netting to put over top. I was wondering if anyone had tried using string.....maybe kite string or something thicker to weave a net? The run will only be about 3 or 4' x 8'. I usually let mine free range but there were some mighty fat hawks around here last year around the time I lost over 1/2 of my flock.

For those who bought netting for the top, how much did it cost and where did you buy it from?

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    The string might work, if you're just trying to keep out large predatory birds, but you'd have to use quite a lot of it. If I remember right, a big roll of deer netting costs under $20 and is very easy to install, and may contain enough netting for replacement if need be, so I'd think just buying the deer netting would be better than going through a lot of trouble to put up a network of strings, but that's just my opinion.

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I got my netting a menards for 14.97 for 7ft x 100 ft have had no problems with it girls see it and dont try to fly out and nothing has gotten into it(Yet) [​IMG]

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Where do you get it? Lowes? Home Depot? Tractor Supply? I really need some of this!

5. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    I'm in VA so the closest Menards is probably 6-8 hrs from me [​IMG].

I've been looking for deer netting but haven't found any around here yet. What store did you get your's from? That would be better for me, just couldn't find it [​IMG].

Thanks!

6. jlbpooh

jlbpooh Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2007
    Catawba, SC
    I have over 1300 square feet of pen, and I use the deer netting also. Attached to the chainlink with cable ties, it has stood up to several ice storms. The chainlink starting collapsing inwards and the netting didn't break. I got mine from Lowes. A 7'x100' roll was only $7.99.

7. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I'll have to ask an employee where it is. We don't have a Menards, I've never heard of it. I bought plastic poultry netting at Lowes and it ripped under wet leaves. It was $13 for a 4'x50' roll, so I'd much rather buy some deer netting.

Incidentally, does deer netting work to keep deer out of gardens? Seeing how it's deer netting and all... I was going to just plant the corn and hope we got some, but DH wants to put up a fence (which he won't really do, it's a stall tactic to procrastinate on tilling that patch of dirt for me) so maybe deer netting might work? Hmmmmmm

8. TeaLady

TeaLady Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    Issaquah
    My neighbor uses deer netting around his grapes. Seems to keep the deer out fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by