Neurological problem with chick?

fmoss3

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 19, 2013
I was picking up some chicks today at the feed store when I saw this chick in the brooder of assorted bantams. His head was laying completely on his back. His eyes were closed, but he was peeping away. I asked the people at the feed store what was wrong with him, and they just said "He probably won't make it." They offered to give him to me for free, and I couldn't say no.

I brought him home and gave him some water from a dropper, which he happily accepted. I realize he may not make it, and if he does, there might not be much quality of life. It's just impossible for me to turn away from a helpless animal.

I haven't seen him walk, and he's only opened his eyes a little. Sometimes he holds his head in a regular position, sometimes it's flat against his back. It does look like he has pooped, but I don't know if that means he has eaten.

I was hoping I could get some insight as to what might be going on, or how I could make him more comfortable? Might it be neurological? Or contagious? He perked up and held his head better when I took him outside in the sun. I don't know if it would be more humane to feed him, or just let him die.

I can provide pictures if that would help.

Looks like it might be wry neck. I have some B12/B6/Folic acid vitamins.... Would that be okay to give him?

So proud of you for taking him. I don't have advice on how to help him, but whatever time he has will be so much more pleasant with attention you are giving him.

How's the baby doing? Is he still with you? Did the vitamins work?
I think that the vitamin/electrolytes in their water is extremely helpful for their first few weeks. If he's still alive, but weak, you can make him a little "cast/skirt" out of a styrofoam cup so his legs reach the ground and he can start strengthening them.
Mary

Thanks for the responses...

Unfortunately, he didn't make it. When I woke up yesterday, he was flat at the bottom of the brooder. I thought he was dead, but he was still breathing. I picked him up and he revived quite quickly, and he was back to where he was the day before. But he wouldn't eat or drink the food/vitamin/water mash I made. He died yesterday afternoon, and I buried him. Then, one of my 3 week old chicks died out of nowhere! And another >1 week chick died last night. I've had a lot of chick deaths lately, but I don't think its a number out of the ordinary. Phew! Hopefully no more. I don't like to feel so helpless :(

Back
Top Bottom