Neutering my rooster

I had the same problem with my little Shep he is silkie, bantam , brahma mix and a good sized rooster he was fine till he was about 8 months old and he tortured my silkies I was about to sell him but instead I bought saddles for the silkies they looked pitiful no feathers on the backs and he was pulling them out with claws and beak because I trimmed his spurs. When my sweet silkie Bessie saw him coming she just fell to the ground like an air raid was coming. I ordered cute saddles from Amazon . It took a while to get them to not take them off. But I'm seeing feathers again. Lil Shep's hormone levels are leveling out he's calming down and they are protected . As a matter of fact I've gotten a beautiful chick from him and my black silkie . Named the little one birdie Clare she looks like a silkie but is much larger appears she'll be medium to a large hen. I suggest the saddles and some time. Here is birdie Claire ,so cute
20190829_110240.jpg

Please do not caponize him.

It’s a very painful procedure and in most cases, they do not even survive it.

If you really do love him I would look into finding him a new home where he’ll be loved.
I think "most cases"is taking things pretty far..... more experienced folks lose very few birds. I didn't even lose "most of" mine my first try.

Thank you all for your replies...the 'cockerel' is 4 months old as is the 3 hens. Our coop area is 18'w x 19'l x 9'h. The wire run w/wire top is 35'w x 48'l x 7'h has grass and dirt area's. I plan to free range when they are older. They have 2 long roosts, 3 - 5gal waterer's, 9 free at will feeders. There is plenty room for them to escape him. He seeks these 3 out all day. I have decided to put up 1 area inside and 1 area outside for him for the next 2 to 3 months. If reintroduction in 3 months doesn't work he will be looking for a new home. His name is Dennis (didn't know he was going to be a menace when we named him!). He will be free to loving home (Picture attached). 20190831_130634.jpg

Back
Top Bottom