Neutering your Cockerals so they can live!

I'm curious to see how this turns out. I've always thought the surgery had to be done when they were less than 8 weeks.
I can understand why the OP would take such measures to keep her cockerels. I've been very attached to a few roosters, and can't say how I would react if I were in the same situation. :confused:

I've considered this before but this conversation has me revisiting the topic.
I have a bunch of cockerels that will need to be butchered mid winter. I may buy a caponizing kit to practice after I slaughter.
If it doesn't seem too hard, I may buy some eggs of other breeds in the spring. According to the American Livestock Breed Conservancy, Cochins make an excellent capon at 12 months of age. They also suggest Brahmas as a capon option.
Buckeye, Chantecler, Delaware, Javas, Jersey Giants, New Hampshires, Rhode Island Reds, Rhode Island Whites are all listed on livestock conservancy's RAFT (Renewing America's Food Traditions). Javas were once considered the finest table fowl.
Perhaps some of those would be worth a go.
At least they won't be breeding with my birds and messing up the genetics and I can sell all the pullets.
I may even be tempted to put a couple Penedesencas on the list. They are famous in Spain for excellent flavor and considered organoleptically unique from other chickens with their own annual food festival in Catalonia. Every year they feature a unique breed from Catalonia but the Black Penedesenca is the star of the show.

This is an excellent read on the topic of RAFT and conserving heritage breeds.
https://www.albc-usa.org/RAFT/ourwork.html

Last edited:
:goodpost:Great write up!

Historically, caponizing wasn't for behavior modification but to grow the birds much larger, fatter and more tender for a huge meat carcass. Grocers around me still sell capons. They are in the freezer section right next to turkeys, ducks and geese.
Unlike broiler chickens which were developed for fast growing genetics with huge breasts, commercial capons come from slower growing breeds like Plymouth rocks, orpingtons, RIRs and are for the gourmet market and certain ethnic groups.

I haven’t seen a capon for sale in a grocery store since I was a kid. I’m older than dirt, too.

My understanding is it's more like a mans voice dropping. Castration early enough keeps it high but once it's broken and developed it's already done and there's no changing it.

That isn't accurate, though. A mature man's voice absolutely can change if there is a loss of hormones or an unbalance in hormones. A person's speaking voice is largely behavioural... hormones and genetics just control the range of tone a person is capable of.

Regardless of all that - I personally find it morally reprehensible to force an animal to endure an optional procedure for the benefit of the person's emotional whims. I see it all the time in every aspect of animal ownership. True, the bird is your animal to do with as you see fit (within the law), but I do really wish people could pull their heads out of their behinds and think with their head rather than their heart sometimes. What is in the best interest of our animals is often NOT what people want emotionally.

That isn't accurate, though. A mature man's voice absolutely can change if there is a loss of hormones or an unbalance in hormones. A person's speaking voice is largely behavioural... hormones and genetics just control the range of tone a person is capable of.

Regardless of all that - I personally find it morally reprehensible to force an animal to endure an optional procedure for the benefit of the person's emotional whims. I see it all the time in every aspect of animal ownership. True, the bird is your animal to do with as you see fit (within the law), but I do really wish people could pull their heads out of their behinds and think with their head rather than their heart sometimes. What is in the best interest of our animals is often NOT what people want emotionally.
Well said.
Given your screen name, I wondered if you raise Javas.

Well said.
Given your screen name, I wondered if you raise Javas.

Thank you :)

Haha I actually had to Google to see if you were referring to a chicken breed! I didn't even know there was one called Java... I'm slowly learning that there a ton more breeds out there than the "standard" ones I grew up with!

Alas, my screenname is uncreative - it is just my name lol Java is the first part of my last name.

Back
Top Bottom