Never built a coop before...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Newtochickens12, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Newtochickens12

Newtochickens12 New Egg

Nov 21, 2012
    Hello all,
    Brand new to forum, brand new to chickens, and a mediocre carpenter at best!

My little family wants to have around 6 laying chickens. I have no coop and inten to build one. I live in a subdivision so I can't have the little ladies running around the yard. I have access to pallets and had thought of using some of those for construction, you know waste not.......... I have scoured this forum and seen all of the awesome coops you folks have built. Maybe it's overload, or maybe I haven't looked at enough, but I haven't found anything that sets off that lightbulb in my head yet. I was thinking of a simple wire box X by X with a wood box above it, a ramp to it from the "run" and nest boxes that I can access from outside. Anyone have any experience with pallets for this type construction and of so point me in a good direction please. Once I get the coop done, I will start pecking your brains about the birds and such.

Thanks for your help
    Brandon

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Hi Brandon! PA here! Welcome! We have already made 2 pallet coops, love them! in my signature area below you will find the links to our hinkle haus!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by