1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NEVER buying full grown hens again!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kschix, Mar 16, 2009.

1. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Quote:It goes systemically through the skin. It kills fleas when they bite the dog and also sterilizes them so their eggs will not hatch.

You really should not use this on your kids.....no telling what problems it will cause later in life.

Some say no egg withdrawal...some say yes. I usually spray when moulting in the fall...and then again in the spring time. ONLY one squirt per bird on the neck...I do throw out the eggs for appx 1 week and then back to normal. Just for measure...

Although I'm sure it 'could' be used on humans...I'd check into it with your vet or pediatrician before trying it out first.

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

This post is not aimed at EVERY person that is Amish, so I do not mean to offend anyone. But, my following statements are based on what I have seen with my own eyes, not hearsay .....

The (majority of) Amish people see their animals as nothing more than a way to make money. They use them until they are no longer healthy and then they sell them to the first (unsuspecting) person that comes along. I have seen horses brought to sales that were in completely despicable condition. They sell the horse and then you will see them leave the auction with another horse to take home and work nearly to death.

Are you guys aware that some of the most vile puppy mills are on Amish farms ?

I am not surprised that the hens you bought are full of "bugs".

There are many reasons the birds should be kept in quarantine for a month or more.

On another note . . . . I would NEVER put Frontline on chickens or children, heck ! I don't even use it on my dogs or cats . . . .
    It works SYSTEMICALLY, meaning it comes out in the eggs. So, this means that if you eat the eggs, you are in fact eating FRONTLINE. [​IMG]

3. kschix

kschix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    DeSoto, Kansas
    Quote:Are you in Kansas? I don't think $5 sounds too bad. I just sold a couple hens at the last Yoder sale for $8 apiece. In the next month or so I'd expect to get at least $10 apiece if not more.

Yes, I'm in Kansas. Now I'm thinking I didn't get that bad of a deal- hearing how much others pay (besides the mites on them and that they act pretty old).

My brother has bought a lot of full grown hens from the amish around him (same area) with no problems, but his hens are free range and have mites anyways! But for me, I will stick to chicks from now on...

4. cheeptrick

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Frontline Sprays do not contain the potentially toxic insecticides found in most pet store sprays and is a 'safer' product than most...they use it on dairy cattle, goats, and livestock. The fleas and ticks that it treats are only a few species and like all insects will develop an immunity to it. Bird lice is a fact of life...something that must be treated or the bird will become sick. It does not mean a particular flock owner did not take good care of their birds...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  5. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
  6. cheeptrick

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    This site has an Acute Warning Hazard Label...to rate the products we use. Frontline has the same toxic 'caution' as poultry dust. http://www.pesticideinfo.org/ I never stated that it was totally safe...rather SAFER than most.

We can just leave it...and let the bird succumb...or we can treat it. It is the owners choice what measures they take.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  7. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I hope that after you get your new hens treated for mites, they will feel better, adjust, and pick up better habits.

Where I live (in a large city), newborn chicks are $3, older chicks (2-4 months), are $8-$10, and laying hens are $15-$20.

When you figure in the cost of buying your chicks, shavings, and brooder equipment if not already owned, and then the cost of feed, treats, and more shavings while raising them till they're old enough to lay - $15 for a hen is a great price.

Our feed here is also more expensive, so that probably figures in too (we pay $17 for a 50 lb bag of layena crumbles).

8. mychickensrock

mychickensrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Speaking of treating for mites, how long is the waiting period for Sevin Dust?

9. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I have 4 black australorps leaving on Friday. Just coming out of first molt. I sold them for $15 a piece. They were going for $20 at auction this last weekend.

10. kschix

kschix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    DeSoto, Kansas
    Quote:I would really like to know this too. I haven't been eating the eggs from the chickens that were dusted with sevin (mainly b/c I'm pregnant and don't want to risk it). I figure I will wait two weeks and then eat them again??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by