1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Never Done THis Before

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LaurenCoggins, Jan 11, 2015.

1. LaurenCoggins

LaurenCoggins New Egg

Jan 11, 2015
    Hey Yall! I am starting to become extremely interesting in having chickens. I have always loved chickens but have never had the ability to own a few of my own.

My interest is in laying hens rather than meat chickens. SOO.. anyone with suggestions about which are your favorite breeds would be much appreciated.

Also, I will be building my own coop. :)) nervous about that!!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]e're glad to have you.

4. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Hello from Oregon & welcome to BYC. This site is great - so much information. You can go to the learning center tab & look up coops - you can also find plans for building your coop. Leghorns & sexlinks are great egg layers but again you should spend time reading about the different breeds & get ones your drawn to as well as amazing egg layers. Bet of luck :) .

5. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    I gotta a list of breeds,their docile,and great layers,welcome!

Ok,the sexlinks are the best layers,and can be sexed at aged.
    Production reds.Youll hear stories that are different,but my production hen is our best layer,and most docilest,she had always laid accept for molt.
    Buff orp.I wouldnt suggest on them,not goid layers from my experience,but very docilest.
    Newhampshire Reds.Ok layers,but I have heard a bit aggressive towards other birds,but docile.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Lots of great breeds out there that are great layers as well as pets. I am fond of the Orpington group of birds, the Buff Orpingtons and the Black Australorps. They are very docile, friendly and great layers of big brown eggs. Wyandottes, Plymouth Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Easter Eggers are also great breeds to keep that are excellent layers too. I keep Black Australorps and Barred Rocks and they are just power layers! Friendly too.

Stop by our Breeds page here on BYC on what others are saying about the different breeds...https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

Which ever breed you choose, I hope they bring you great pleasure!!

Welcome to our flock!

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Buff orpington are my personal favorite breed. They are sweet, affectionate and good layers.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

9. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. My personal favorites are Black Sex Links (Black Stars), which are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years and they have been my best layer, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Among the standard breeds (Black Sex Links are hybrids), my favorite is the Australorp. They are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by