Never had a rooster, now we have two!

Henny0831

Chirping
Jul 24, 2019
Help! Our last batch of chickens surprised us with two Polish roosters! We’ve never had a rooster and I have no idea what to expect. Any advice would be appreciated! Will they mate with ALL our hens? Will I have to check every egg before using them? Should I collect the eggs has soon as possible? I know NOTHING! Thanks is advance for the advice!

Help! Our last batch of chickens surprised us with two Polish roosters! We’ve never had a rooster and I have no idea what to expect. Any advice would be appreciated! Will they mate with ALL our hens? Will I have to check every egg before using them? Should I collect the eggs has soon as possible? I know NOTHING! Thanks is advance for the advice!
how many hens do you have
both roosters will try to breed all the hens
you can eat fertile eggs
just collect eggs once or twice a day
and you dont have to check you eggs before use
any more questions i will gladly help!!

A lot is going to depend on how you keep your chickens and the amount of effort you are prepared to put into these two cockerels.
Very briefly; If you keep your chickens confined to a coop and run my advice albeit reluctant is just keep the one cockerel. The probability is the two will compete for the hens attentions and this may lead to fighting which given you are new to roosters you may find disturbing.
If you have children who you want to interact with the chickens then no roosters at all given you have no previous experience might be the best course. Again, advice reluctantly given but many keepers new to chickens and roosters struggle with rooster behaviour and the poor rooster ends up as someones supper.
This article may help you understand their behaviour should you decide to keep one or both.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

@Shadrach is giving good advice! It takes experience to recognize problematic cockerel behaviors, which you will be getting if you keep them, maybe a good thing, maybe not. Many of us started with a very human aggressive rooster, held on to him too long, and finally decided that the dangerous jerk wasn't worth having. We learned! It's possible to have wonderful roosters, yes, but learning to identify them takes some time.
In limited space, and if children are involved, just be careful.
Mary

how many hens do you have
both roosters will try to breed all the hens
you can eat fertile eggs
just collect eggs once or twice a day
and you dont have to check you eggs before use
any more questions i will gladly help!!
Thank you! We have 9 hens. One of our roosters is already quite aggressive so we may not be able to keep him since we have two small children who love hanging out with the chickens.

You won't have to do anything differently! Fertilized eggs are fine to eat, as long as a broody hen hasn't been sitting on them. The roosters may pick favorites and breed some hens more then others, but all will get bred. If you have an aggresive rooster, DO NOT keep him. Especially around young kids. Dont settle for ok. Find a GOOD rooster. The only thing you should do different, is feed all flock with supplemental oyster shells. It can hurt roosters in the long run to have all the calcium intake.

Two small children? BE VERY CAREFUL. Children often times are attacked first. The thing is, a wonderful rooster is a great addition to the flock, but a lot of roosters are rotten. And the longer I am in chickens, the more I am convinced that it is the luck of the draw. Not anything people can or should do.

If your children are under 6 I would recommend letting them both go.

Do know that how they act today, is no indication how they will act tomorrow. Be very aware.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom