Never heard THAT noise from my hen before!

futurefarmer08

Songster
11 Years
Nov 29, 2008
near Sac. Ca
I was outside yesterday hangin' with my hens ( only 2) and one came over and made this weird noise like a growl. Unlike a dog or something it didn't seem to come with agressive or irritated behavior. So I was suprised? I have a broody that will do a high pitched noise tha I know is "Leave me alone! Don't come near." but the low growl is a mystery. Please enlighten me on funny chicken noises. Oh and does anyone know why some Roos only crow in the morning and some crow all day? Is it a breed thing? Lonliness? Thanks for answering my chicken ponderings!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Roosters crow when they feel like it, which can be at 3 p.m. or 3 a.m., especially if they are disturbed by something, like a light flashing in their coop from a passing car, etc. I've never had a rooster who only crowed in the morning. Those are those Hollywood roosters, LOL.

There are several growl sounds, one like my blue Ameraucana just did in my arms when a hawk flew through the trees.

I have a BA pullet that will growl, not sure why, although it seems like when she is trying to figure something out, and then some of the others honk like a goose!

That's so funny!
gig.gif
In the last couple days everytime I go outside I hear this high pitch rolling rrrrrrr sound from one of my hens. I am not sure if she is happy to see me? or if she is just trying to fit into the neighborhood by screaming like all the children do? I didn't realize they have so many noise ranges. I am still trying to learn their language.
D.gif

The sound that I think you're refering to is, I think, the 'Danger from the Air' sound. When my chickens make it, they are usually looking up, they often make it if a large bird like a magpie or jay flies over, or sometimes a plane. When one makes it, everyone else either freezes and looks up, or heads for cover.

Back
Top Bottom