never immunized hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by djswett, Jan 18, 2010.

1. djswett

djswett Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2009
    Bend, OR.
    Hello.
    I just got two new Hens for our flock. Two lovely Barred Rock girls about 8 months old!
    They come from a small farm where this lady had about 20 chickens and needed to downsize. I'm guessing that her hens never got any shots when they where born (our hen came from a feed store and she got immunized on day 1).
    Should I worry about this? Is there any medication that I should give them?
    I'm planning on keeping the new girls in a separate coop for a couple of weeks just to avoid to much contact at first....

Thanks all,
    Bryan

2. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Aside from keeping them quarantined for a few weeks to make sure they're not sick, I wouldn't be too worried. I've had chickens for eleven years and they've never been vaccinated, and I haven't had a single issue with disease in that time. Good luck!

3. lavacaw

lavacaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    The only way any of my birds got immunized was if it was done before I got them...Never had a problem.

4. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    same here!!! glad to know I'm not alone!!!![​IMG]

5. djswett

djswett Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2009
    Bend, OR.
    Awesome!
    Thank you fellow BYCers!

6. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    No vax allowed here. Animal or human.
    Just quarentine as per the standard time, and you will be fine.

7. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    You're welcome! Also, I wanted to add that some of my birds are ten years old or older and still going strong, so chickens can definitely live long, healthy lives without vaccines. There are certainly situations where it would be better to vaccinate (showbirds, breeding situations where new birds are coming in a lot, areas where there are a lot of chickens around), but for my medium-sized isolated flock, I'm not too concerned.

8. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

my chickens have never been vaccinated, never fed medicated feed, never dewormed (other than the occasional pumpkin feast).... all as fit as a fiddle! i've not lost one (other than the 2 Silkies that died in shipping- they got sat on). as the others said, quarantine any newcomers for safety and use good judgment.

i'm so glad spring is coming soon... i can't wait to get more chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by