Never incubated before..what kind to buy?

Quote:
I agree 100%. I have two LG's and one Hovabator and I've never been able to figure the Hovabator out. All are still airs and I've had decent hatches with them. I like the LG's because for me they are easier to adjust. If you want to increase the temp, when the light goes off, turn it a HAIR til the light goes on. Same with decreasing but turn it til the light goes off. I also think the turners that you can buy for the LG's are better quality.

The LG turners will fit either bator too. The hova turners only fit in the hovabator. One plus to the 1583 hova is that the sides of the base are taller, which prevents escape
big_smile.png

I just wanted to let you know that I just bought the hova-bator 1602N forced air with the 1611 turner on ebay for $87.95 plus shipping. Shipping for me was $30 because I live in Alaska(apparently we are like a foreign country or something) but to the rest of the US it was $15. So you could get the works for around $100. Like you this will be my first time hatching too. GOOD lUCK TO YOU.

THANKS everyone for all of the advice! I would love to buy the biggest and the best, but I just don't have that kinda money to sink into a bator right now. I'm glad to know that a lot of you have had success with the LG's. I know a lot of people prefer the Genesis 1588 but I don't want to spend that right now. I figure I might try it without the turner for now and I can always get one to add later. What type of thermometer and what not do you all use? I know that they come wtih one, but do you usually use the one included with the incubator or buy a diff/better one and what type??

Hi, I have a LG and tried to hatch some eggs...not one hatched. I am thinking that the thermometer that came with the unit doesnt work. I keep the resorvoirs full...and heat at what the cheap little thermometer says is 100 degrees. No fan. Not sure what i did wrong.

The thermometers that come with are junk. One of the incubators (LG's) that I bought even had a note included inside saying not to use it. I use the Accurite digital thermometer/hygrometer combo from Walmart for about $7-$8. I have about 4 of them and if you put two in the bator at the same time, you'll get two different readings. Usually the temps are pretty accurate but use an average for the humidity. They may vary in temp reading by a degree or two, but in a still air you have varying temps. I've found that a range of 100-102 in a still air is fine. Humidity can vary from 35%-45% and still hatch ok. No lower than that though and not much higher if at all for days 1-18.

Hello all of you Enablers!!!!
barnie.gif
I just placed an order for a 1588 and auto turner from Home and Barn Basics $193.57 ( they still take the discount code BYC5
clap.gif
) Our coop is full but our bantam roo has started doing his "job"
wink.png
and we must have some little OEG bantam babies !! So thanks to everyone for making this purchase seem like a great idea
th.gif
Oh and thanks for tax refunds, I loaned Uncle Sam that money long enough.
duc.gif
Good luck with your bator purchase bkterry
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Just bought my lg bator (with fan kit included) at Tractor Supply Company. If you go to their website and register your email with them, you get a coupon for $5 off your purchase -- so my $41.99 incubator was an even better deal!
Still trying to get the temp right, and the thermo that came with it is not even close to the digital temp/humidity from Walmart, but it was sure easy to get set up!
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom