NEVER MIND! Nipples in pipe fed by water hose - How to?

mphsgal

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 16, 2012
Hi, all. I've seen a pic of this kind of setup at Aquamist, but I want to build it myself. Their kit is expensive! To describe it further, I want a water hose connected to a length of pvc or cpvc pipe. The pipe is capped on the other end, and has nipples along it. The apparatus will be hung inside the 2' tall meat birds tractor.

What kind of nipples should I get? How many (25 birds) and how far apart? Will I need a pressure reducer to keep them from leaking (city water=60psi)? What kind of fitting(s) do I need to attach the water hose to the pipe? Should I run my water hose through some kind of conduit to keep it from getting hot in the sun?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!
I just realized that if I attach the waterer to a garden hose I won't be able to add ACV!!! Duh! I'll use 5 gallon buckets and I can find the info on building with those. Sorry, all.
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Hi, all. I've seen a pic of this kind of setup at Aquamist, but I want to build it myself. Their kit is expensive! To describe it further, I want a water hose connected to a length of pvc or cpvc pipe. The pipe is capped on the other end, and has nipples along it. The apparatus will be hung inside the 2' tall meat birds tractor.

What kind of nipples should I get? How many (25 birds) and how far apart? Will I need a pressure reducer to keep them from leaking (city water=60psi)? What kind of fitting(s) do I need to attach the water hose to the pipe? Should I run my water hose through some kind of conduit to keep it from getting hot in the sun?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!
I just realized that if I attach the waterer to a garden hose I won't be able to add ACV!!! Duh! I'll use 5 gallon buckets and I can find the info on building with those. Sorry, all.
barnie.gif

Here is my for reference. The hard part is finding the fitting that right for the short water hose. I used 6 feet hose. My also not glue so when weather get freezing cold it just pop out at the PVC connection. The coop is about 50-60 feet away from the house without power.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/537861/automatic-feeder-attached-to-the-coop

I came on here to ask the exact same thing as the original poster....only I want to do this with a 65 gal reservoir for a flock of 150 pasture meat ducks. These are the Farm Tek nipples? Does the water reservoir need to have an airtight lid on it? Or can it be open, the same way you would use it for a bell waterer? If I make such a large reservoir, will my pressure be above the recommended 1 psi and cause my water to leak out?

Any help anyone can give is much appreciated.
Thanks

Heather

I use 5 gal buckets with horizontal spring loaded watering nipples. No leaks and the tiny cups underneath are great for birds and small animals. Check this out.

PM me if interested.

.... Does the water reservoir need to have an airtight lid on it?.... If I make such a large reservoir, will my pressure be above the recommended 1 psi and cause my water to leak out?
If your reservoir is air tight the water will cease flowing once a vacuum is formed.

Regardless of your reservoirs size in gallons, the pressure is figured by the height (not the length or width) of the water column.

A 10 foot water column or drop (I think) equals about 5 psi. (check this out for yourself because I have slept a few times since the last time that I did the math)

In other words only the weight that the water column exerts on the open nipple has any effect on water pressure. This is true whether your reservoir holds one gallon or one million gallons.

This is my setup for automatic watering. I just hook this up to the hose and it uses a float valve to keep a constant supply of water. This is 4"

If your reservoir is air tight the water will cease flowing once a vacuum is formed.

Regardless of your reservoirs size in gallons, the pressure is figured by the height (not the length or width) of the water column.

A 10 foot water column or drop (I think) equals about 5 psi. (check this out for yourself because I have slept a few times since the last time that I did the math)

In other words only the weight that the water column exerts on the open nipple has any effect on water pressure. This is true whether your reservoir holds one gallon or one million gallons.

Thank you!! So, worst case scenario, if my big barrel causes too much pressure, I could plumb two together and only half fill them :)

Back
Top Bottom