Never start a War with the neighbors-Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, different states have different laws, but you need to see about the ones that govern YOU. I have beeen told previously by two separate relaible sources that if an unpermitted building or addition is not caught before the property changes hands the first time, that city-enforced correction is not possible. However, if you ever want to make a future change to the house, you may well have to bring it up to code, which will mean an inspection to determine whether it meets code or not.

Your city's planning department should be able to tell you whether a permit is needed for a small shed, and under what circumstances. Typically one like you describe does not need a permit unless you plan to add electricity or plumbing. You need to deal with someone else, and probably over the phone without giving your real name or address. I think it was already suggested that you act as if you are seeking information for a potential project rather than asking about needing a permit for a previously unpermitted building. One question to ask is the conditions that trigger the need for a permit--that you want to keep the size under that threshhold, or something similar.

What an official, any official, tells you the law is and what the law actually is are not the same. Never ever take their word for it. Make them give you code numbers of any violations and look it up yourself. As for the plastic shed, I do not believe you need a permit for them. They are a temporary portable structure and they are usually not attached to anything, including the ground.

I really don't think they can hold you liable for the porch. Ask them if they really want to go through, inspect each residence, and demand that every unpermitted structure in the whole town be torn down. Remind them that discrimination and arbitrary application of the law is illegal. I would be willing to bet there is a statute of limitations on unpermitted structures. As to proving when it was built, find out from the tax assessors office when they started collecting taxes on it.

Am I the only person that sees the obvious here????????????????

OP is complaining because they got a taste of their own medicine . . .
Gimmie a friggen break here . . . .

You made your own bed, now you gotta sleep in it . . .
Im glad at least this thread went your way tho, seems to be the only thing that did . . .

Im sorry, I cant really fathom everybody elses attitude towards this . . .
Why is it "poor op" ???

sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
I would probably just pay to get everything legal and then move on.Unfortunately your renters and landowners will be unlikely to do the same.TP is only the start for these types. I would also apologize to the renters and owners for the situation. As you say you just wanted them to tone down the noise not get anyone fined for illegal structures.Apologize and maybe they will back off in their threats and property damage antics.That would be my goal....to get them to leave me alone.

I hope you get it resolved soon.

I think a lot of us have homes that have additions that are not permitted in one way or another.Just a matter of time before it gets noticed.

I have window shaker neighbors. I dubbed them the frat house as they are always having a party. Since it is acorss the street I let it be hoping the immediate neighbors report them. I reported a neighbor one time,and it was holy hell for me afterwards. I could not do anything without worrying they would report me.

Quote:
Seems like if her "friend in code enforcement" overlooked the need for a permit when the porch was built and now wants to make trouble for you. I would think this "friend" would get into some hot water if he knew about the porch when it was built and is now enforcing the rules.

Quote:
I know I know I know I opened up a can of worms by calling code enforcement. Trust me, you have no idea how much I put up with over there before starting to ask them about the music, and code enforcement I felt was one of my last resorts. I would NEVER, EVER, EVER call code enforcement on ANYONE ever again, I wouldn't wish that on anyone now that I've seen personally what they're all about. They called on me out of being vindictive. I called because I had a true reason. They were denying me to my right of enjoying my own property. And there's a big difference between my fines and theres. Mine are undeserving, theres are, they built those additions knowingly, I bought this place in good faith with the porch. It was advertised by the realtor as being with a porch. The shed...whatever. I'm glad most everyone here thinks that this is ridiculous and petty and hopefully someone in the office will have a heart and be understanding over the whole issue. It bothers me so much its the first thing I think about, very hard not to let an issue like this not bother you.

Quote:
Seems like if her "friend in code enforcement" overlooked the need for a permit when the porch was built and now wants to make trouble for you. I would think this "friend" would get into some hot water if he knew about the porch when it was built and is now enforcing the rules.

Trouble is finding out exactly who her friend is. I hope ALL of you take this as a learning experience. If you ever buy a house, don't ever do it without first contacting the permitting department and making sure every single item is permitted for. Maybe even have an officer do an inspection if they're nice enough to do so.

Quote:
I suppose my picnic table could blow away in the wind and i dont need a permit for that

Egads!

Kim, this is great, they're worried about hurricanes. This is a mobile home, if there's a hurricane you think this mobile home is not blowing away with the shed and porch? How ironic would that be if there was a hurricane/tornado and my place was demolished and all that was left standing was the porch and shed
gig.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom