Neverending tapework saga

I was told to use 3mg per kilo per day. It is the dosage prescribed by France sanitary safety agency for medication. It may take into account the fact that we have bioresistance to Flubendazole. And that it has a high safety margin since most of it is not absorbedabsorbedshouldshould be enough to treat tapeworms

Very interesting ! The dosage I was given is a lot more, if I understand correctly that on the link you mention, it's 10 mg Flubendazole per kilo, divided by the number of days you give it.

I was told to use 3mg per kilo per day. It is the dosage prescribed by France sanitary safety agency for medication. It may take into account the fact that we have bioresistance to Flubendazole. And that it has a high safety margin since most of it is not absorbed.

I use a mini mayonnaise hand mixer to make an emulsion with a little water before mixing it in the bowl and that way it dissolves completely.

Edited to add : it did not kill the tapeworms with the dosage I used anyway!
That is interesting, indeed. And maybe there us just a comma fault at the root of the calculation.

When I spoke to the pharmaceutical manager the dosage he told me to use wa. at least 1,2 g per kg feed. The dosage for other worms species was 0,6 g per kg feed. It worked great and luckily, I haven't seen any tapeworms ir their segments in my chicken's poop for several years now.

You gave mg instead of g.

I did not check the linked site again, they might have changed something or not. Their calculation for dosage recommendation was prone to miscalculation then as poeple often mixed up the amount of drug with the amount of product (drug +filler) etc.

Which was also why I chose to speak to the pharmaceutical manager to get the information right.

Do you have a picture of your dropping with tapes? Are all of your birds excreting tapeworm segments in their droppings or just one or two? If only one bird has tapes, you only need to treat that one. Tapeworm eggs survive by having an intermediate host. The are excreted in droppings, which need to be cleaned up, keeping bedding dry and fresh. Any snail, slug, beetle, earthworm, grasshopper, or fly that ingests tapeworm eggs or a segment containing many eggs, can be eaten by a chicken and cause a tapeworm problem. Few drugs are approved for poultry, but 2 weeks is usually a good length of time for an egg withdrawal. How much and what product did you use for treatment, and did you repeat it in 14 days? Equimax, Zimectrin Gold, Droncit, and Wormout Gel with praziquantel are many of the products that will treat tapeworms, but the dosage will differ in each drug, and they are given by weight.

This is how I deworm:

1,2 g Flubenole 5% per kg feed for 7 consecutive days. Give only the medicated feed, nothing else.

Repeat after 10 days if needed.

I prepare a mix of wheat, barley and field peas with germ oil, stirring well so every grain is coated.

Then I prepare a premix containing Flubenole 5%, fine dried Oregano powder, flour and brewer's yeast. Stirr well.

Then slowly adding the premix to the oil coated grain mix while carefully stirring until every grain is nicely coated with the premix.
I recommend wearing a face mask FFP2 when dealing with powdery drugs.

For deworming purposes I use deep bowls to serve their medicated feed in, as I do not want it to lose the coating when touching the ground.

You're going to have to spray your yard with an insecticide to control the insects infecting your birds. Permethrin liquid concentrate will work. Keep your birds penned up for about a week. If you have a hard freeze, that will work.
Here's a link where you can order Worm Out soluble powder containing praziquantel to kill tapeworms:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185334427350?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr=1&amdata=enc:1ZoHbHSyMQQGI_AesE5evHg23&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=185334427350&targetid=4580909052765419&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=603247545&mkgroupid=1236951576251627&rlsatarget=pla-4580909052765419&abcId=9316119&merchantid=51291&msclkid=0bdc510a58461eee8920341d69aa29d4
Wow thank you!! I didn’t think a water treatment was around. Appreciate this very much

Back
Top Bottom