new 10x12 barn coop almost done pictures soon UPDATE NOW HAVE PICS

I can't wait to see how you are going to do the inside. I always have so many ideas and usually wind up with a mess because I want to try them all.
Are you going to divide the inside at all or just make it open for everybody?
I wasn't sure if you were planning on a broody pen in there or just the laying hens.
It's always interesting to hear what others are doing.
It is a great looking barn!
clap.gif

Beautiful job. One word of advice though; You're eave vents may not be suffient for venting.
This past year my husband built an 8X8' gambrel coop for our girls with eave vents, exactly like yours.

It was fine until we hit summer, then we actually had mold growing on the inside of the coop from all the moisture.

Even now, in the middle of the winter, it is almost balmy in there and the first thing we are doing in the spring is putting in much larger vents.

We have a shed sort of like that but we have 3 windows in it. It is a 10x16 and the 2 vents do look too small. Since we just got it we haven't had the too warm episodes yet but sometimes the humidity is thick so I have started opening the windows about an inch each day to help air flow.
At night it seems okay for now but I worry about the summer. We will have pens running off the 3 outside walls but I won't leave their run doors open at night so we are thinking maybe we could get 2 fans going in windows. Maybe one small one blowing in while another small one is blowing out.
I just don't want them too hot while trying to lay eggs or when they go to bed at night. It does get in the upper 90's here in the summer with 100% humidity.

yeah i,ll see how it goes with the vents this summer i do have a good size window with a screen so hopefully they will be fine . plus there out in the big run in good weather too. so that will help. havent had any problems with mold in my other coops . plus it doesnt get too hot here in the summer if we reach the 80s more than afew times we are lucky. thanks.

Back
Top Bottom