New 4-H members here!!

newchickenfamily

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
SF Bay Area - Danville
I just signed my two DD's up for 4-H! They are doing poultry (what else?!). Can't wait to get them going on their new project. We're planning to use our current chicky residents, but, I've pre-warned DH that we MAY need to add to our little flock.
wink.png

Anyone have suggestions for birds to show at the fair next June?? We currently have a RIR, Buff Orp and a Black Star. This is a brand new experience for us!!

Our judge this year-bless that dear man- told us that all show chickens are great as long as they are white..
our White Silkie went Grand Overall..
Don't know if that holds true at all or is just him.
I would be more worried about how the chickens interact with your kids. The reason we got Silkies is because they are easier for my daughter to deal with, both on a day to day basis, and they are hers to deal with, and in the ring. Easy to pick up, they are generally quiet birds..and you don't have a 10 year old struggling with a 10 lb bird..
PLUS you get the added cuteness factor..

Bantam cochins are nice birds for kids to work with. They are very calm if handled with TLC. There are many color varieties also. I just love how soft their feathers are. It is like petting a kitten.

Quote:
I do hope your dear judge would not place a bird simply because it is white. Guess we all have a preference to color but a judge should look at so much more than just color in the birds he places. Your white silkie must have had more than color going for it to go Grand Overall. Congrats on your win.

I do hope your dear judge would not place a bird simply because it is white. Guess we all have a preference to color but a judge should look at so much more than just color in the birds he places. Your white silkie must have had more than color going for it to go Grand Overall. Congrats on your win.

thanks, She is a pretty nice little bird, she went RV at the poultry show here as well..
It was just a comment that he made. I hope I didn't offend anyone..​

My daughters show poultry in Michigan through 4-H.

Our best chicken for showmanship is Jane, an Old English Game Hen. We have bantam Cochins for showmanship too but they are about double the weight. I think we will purchase more OEG for showmanship, my 2nd daughter is almost 10 and her Cochin bantam is too big for her. It was perfect last year as a pullet.

We have an assortment of birds. Black Austorlorp, Buff Orpingtons, EE's (which cannot be shown, unless you have a mixed breed class), Ameraucana's, OEG bantam, and cochin bantam.

My oldest daughter, Rachel, (who is chicken crazy and 3rd year showing) won grand champion production hens with the black austrolorps, Best hen in the barn with one of the winning production hens, champion standard hen, champion standard pair, reserve champion bantam pair, reserve champion bantam.

2nd daughter, Emily, her first year showing animals, got reserve champion doves. She placed in mixed breed (1st year only can enter this class), and her cochin bantam.

Since the fair a wild animal got the male dove and took it out of the cage that had chicken wire. And got the leg of the female. So we are done showing doves for now.

Best advice I can give you is to have the kids talk to the judges after the show and see why he/she placed the birds as they did. This is very knowledgable for the kids. They can take that information and use it to their benefit during showmanship, pointing out the birds flaws for that breed standard.

Good luck and enjoy showing your poultry. We sure do!

Back
Top Bottom