New ad is horrible

Actually the narrower width is a Blessing.......I hate to read the wider columns because they are unnatural in scope and are not set up to correspond with normal eye movements.....Narrow columns allow us to read and comprehend more easily.........The ads are not a distraction, and if you guys can generate money this way more power to you ........ it must be expensive to provide this service.......I am so out of the loop that I didn't know you had paid memberships.......Thought you were the people who publish BACKYARD POULTRY MAGAZINE.......Will buy a membership....Cannot expect this service to flourish without everyone sharing the cost.....

The narrow pages do not bother me. I think the ad is clean and well blended into the BYC look and feel. When people quote a sub-quote and then quote a sub-quote again it get's pretty messy.

My only issue is that the whitespace is clickable. I often click off to the side to make sure my page is selected and then start scrolling. I have accidentally clicked this ad about 23 times because the white space below the ad is clickable for as far as I can scroll.

I really appreciate you taking feedback on this Rob. Thanks!

My problem is not even with the ad. It is o.k. as far as ads go and actually advertises something that might be of use to the users of BYC. My problem is with the behavior of the ad. I find it intrusive and designed to be just as annoying as those cold calls we get a dinner time.

The layout / formatting / width of the site has not changed with the addition of this ad. Our site is built for a 1024 minimum screen size and dynamically resizes beyond that size, but up to about 1280, at which point it is then fixed width. This is the case with or without the "full-page ad". It may just look like it is differently sized because of the white vs. the blue background we usually have.
Don't know who codes the ads, but this same ad exhibited the same problems, last year. The full page TSC, Nutrena? ad(s) (same "style" full page ad(s)) exhibited no such alterations in the appearance of the BYC formatting (at least on xp/ie8 - 8.1/chrome). Viewing at 1920x1080 (too much "blank" page width? Why isn't image of chicken touching L side of screen and "list" touching R side?) GFM (ads turned off - I leave them on, as a rule):

Last edited:
I don't know about y'all...but if my screen was that squished all to the middle I would hold down a ctrl key and push the scroll wheel forward one or two clicks and make the page display bigger. But that's just me.

Is it the ad that is trying to play that makes it impossible for me to scroll a thread along? I have tried unsuccesfully to read the ongoing thread of the "Utah" thread and it just jumps instead of scrolling...seeming to keep the ad that is playing in the screen view instead of moving along on the thread as it should when I am trying to read subsequent responses. I hope that made sense.

Is it the ad that is trying to play that makes it impossible for me to scroll a thread along? I have tried unsuccesfully to read the ongoing thread of the "Utah" thread and it just jumps instead of scrolling...seeming to keep the ad that is playing in the screen view instead of moving along on the thread as it should when I am trying to read subsequent responses. I hope that made sense.
The ad that this thread was about was taken down or at least expired last friday. I have not seen any scrolling issues in the utah thread, but maybe that was a different ad then I was seeing. I am tired of hearing Mark Eaton though. Haha

Back
Top Bottom