New Again.....from Illinois to Alaska

I'm thinking of running it hot roof and sealing it up and then setting the vents exactly as you say but closed soffits
I would open the soffits.
The ventilation isn't for the roof shingles.
It's for the birds to prevent frostbite in the winter and keep them as cool as possible in the summer.
My coop has all the spaces between the rafters open paired with 2 permanently open gable vents and a ridge vent with two windows away from the roosting area cracked open and the two permanently open pop doors. They need this to stay healthy year round.
Ventilation.png

I would open the soffits.
The ventilation isn't for the roof shingles.
It's for the birds to prevent frostbite in the winter and keep them as cool as possible in the summer.
My coop has all the spaces between the rafters open paired with 2 permanently open gable vents and a ridge vent with two windows away from the roosting area cracked open and the two permanently open pop doors. They need this to stay healthy year round.
View attachment 3218629
That is a spectacular looking coop!!!!!

Vent strategy is on the drawing board. My old coop was smaller by far and I had a regulated air flow soffit and wall vent I could open and close. My main debate before I cut any holes is if I hot roof or do a drop down for general insulation vent and then I’ll know where to put vents for the girls interior air flow. I’m undecided on interior wall sheathing material as well.

Keep the observations and pointers coming!!!!

Welcome Back to BYC We joked that part of Alaska floated in hooked on to the inlet .. But glad your settled with birds again enjoy the time.
I’ve had opportunity to go from kodiak to barrow and down to soldotna but haven’t been to Juneau yet. My job may take me there soon. This state is breathtaking! The drive to Fairbanks through the Denali park. Wow. Just wow. The summer weather is unreal. Winter wasn’t too bad.

But it wasn’t home until I could have feathers in my back yard again.

Back
Top Bottom