New and amazed with Seramas

Serendipi

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 16, 2013
Hi everyone

I'm from the UK and I started breeding Serama hens in September, my first egg hatched on the 9th October, swiftly followed on the same day by another one, and another during the early hours of the 10th October.

My 4th egg hatched 14th October, but this chick had spraddle leg, I've hobbled it and within seconds it could stand and now it's walking around and pecking at things, although at this point I'm not sure how much is going in to it. I have 3 eggs in the hatching incubator, and another 6 in the turning incubator ready to go in hatching incubator.

I have 11 Serama outside, and the weather is getting colder, my two cocks are sounding a bit wheezy so they have been given breathe free, I'm really reluctant to take them inside unless the temperatures really drop to serious minus figures. I'd like to think that when I get to the stage of selling them that I was selling hardy birds that don't need pampering unless the new owner wishes to.

So really, any advice you have regarding my new chicks and my hens I'm all ears.

Thanks

Serendipi

Chick 1

Chick 2

Chick 3

Chick 4

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

I don't keep seramas, but those are very cute.

thanks for the welcome. I think my babies are cute too. Not sure when one is going to hatch that I don't feel I should keep!!

Thanks. They are cute aren't they. So tiny, mind you, they aren't exactly huge when fully grown :D

I've just removed Chick 4's hobble and it is fully able to walk and run over to me when I called it, so I'm leaving it hobble free overnight and will check it in the morning. I pray that the eggs that are left to hatch are just normal chicks and I don't have to wonder where I'm going to house them all!!

welcome-byc.gif
you may want to post your questions re: seramas out in cold weather etc. on the American Serama thread. Some breeders keep their stock inside all the time in cages . Others have a battery of outdoor cages and they affix some solid boards on a couple sides to block wind in colder weather.

you may also try "where am I, where are you," in the social forum to locate and post on your state thread. Maybe someone in the area has seramas and can tell you how they manage them.

I know someone who has two house seramas(hens) and she has never let them outside claiming they are so fast, she is afraid she would never catch them. Hmm lame excuse. She doesn't want to build a run for them with top, that they couldn't escape from. They are always scratching and tearing up her rugs - because they have no grass to forage in.

Thanks for your reply - I fear I am stateless as I'm in England - but I'll hop on over to the Serama thread to see if anyone has any suggestions so thank for that. Or at least I'll do it in the morning as it's way past midnight here :)

Back
Top Bottom